Chapter 11: I'm Sorry...

"You seem so familiar... I just wan't to ask; have I seen you somewhere before?"

~*~

“L-Levi?”

And at that moment, everything froze for Levi. He stopped dead in his tracks to look at the boy, like he didn’t believe the voice he heard was real. The thumping of his heart skipped a beat as he bore into the boy’s olive ones.

Unfortunately, Kaney used that one moment of hesitance to shove Levi onto the ground and aimed the gun right at Levi’s head. It happened so fast that Levi wouldn’t be able to move out of the way on time. Eren gasped and Kaney leered when they all heard the click of the gun.

This would finish it once and for all…

BANG!!!

“LEVI...!”

The sound of the gunshot this time was deafening to the ears; echoing across the concrete walls and, so he felt, into his soul. Levi’s eyes didn’t close even when he braced himself for the seemingly inevitable impact… but that impact never came. Instead, he felt warmth… the warmth of a pair of arms encircling his form in a protective manner and the warmth of the boy’s shaky breath ghosting over his nape.

He was stunned for a moment.

Slowly, his eyes drifted down to the boy’s body resting on him, already lacking the energy or strength to continue lifting himself up. He saw the brunette’s pained expression buried against his shoulder. Almost immediately after that, he pulled the teen close to him in a sorrowful embrace and placed one of his hands on said boy’s smooth cheek.

“…Eren.” Even his voice sounded sorrowful when it reached his ears.

This couldn’t be happening. How the brunette rush over in time to shield him from that bullet was beyond his thoughts right now.

Again; there was that familiar feeling in his heart again. He resisted the urge to clutch at his chest which felt very heavily constricted right now. And his heart… it was as if it had been stabbed a thousand times over- or at least that’s how it felt. It’s nothing he experienced before and yet he knows it’s familiar. That feeling he was having right now…

One of Eren’s bloodied hands reached up shakily to call out for Levi and the man quickly took hold of it without a second of thought.

“Levi… I’m sorry I… always trouble you.” Eren breathed out slowly.

“Enough Eren, don’t talk—“

“I… I’m happy that… I’m able to… repay you…once. And... I-I…” his speech was getting softer and more choked with the pain.

Levi wanted to stop him; he didn’t want more pain to come to the boy…  But the determined look in Eren’s eyes made him pause.

“I…” Eren seemed to hesitate for a moment.

“I love you… Levi.”

Levi felt a lump in his throat.

Love.

He felt his heart flutter with so many mixed emotions and he was once again stunned. But, after a moment of thought, his mind let up and he finally admitted it to himself clearly. No more denying, no excuses—

He loved that boy too.

Yes, from the moment they bumped into each other on that snowy night got him attached to Eren in a way. And the fact that he allowed Eren to stay with him showed that he cared for the boy much more than he would have expected. He also couldn’t deny that he felt jealous to see Hanji and Eren getting along so well. (Probably because he was worried that Eren would end up liking Hanji more than him since she showed so much more affection boldly.)