EPILOGUE

EPILOGUE

The sky was bright with a few clouds lazily drifting across the horizon, the wind was blowing in gentle puffs, and his shoes crunched with the rocky pavement as he took small, leisure steps around the garden.

Trees swished in sync with the breeze and he could see a few pink petals flutter down. It wasn't autumn though, in fact, spring had just arrived a mere few days ago and it was that time of the year when the cherry blossom trees were about to bloom. It was a time to refresh yourself for the new year ahead... but for Eren Jaeger, it marked an end for something in his life.

Watching a scenery like this made him feel a sudden surge of nostalgia and he couldn't help but think back to everything he had gone through in the past few years. Of course, Levi was the first to pop into his mind, and he still couldn't believe that he was reunited with his lover from a past life. Until now, everything that had passed was like a weird dream to him. He noted how young and naïve he was back then... stubborn and ruthless in everything he did, he must have caused a lot of trouble for everyone.

His lips formed into a bitter smile when he remembered all the pain Levi had to go through... even when he was sent here, Levi must have felt heartbroken. He caused so much ruckus about it; protesting against the idea... but he didn't realize that it must have killed Levi inside to do so... yet Levi stood by his choice... for him. It was so that he could have a brighter future. Eren knew that now.

He stopped before the largest tree in the garden and reached his hands aimlessly into the air. He looked at the way the sun peeked and slipped in between the branches, smelling the sweet smell of pollen around him.

Levi...

He hadn't been able to talk to Levi much recently, and he was occasionally worried that Levi would forget about him. But deep down, he knew it would never happen... Levi would assure him of it whenever they had the chance for one of those late night skype calls. And of course, he believed in Levi.

But still, he was a little disappointed.

Today was a very important day for him... and yet when he contacted Levi about it, Levi had said he was away on a business trip. It felt incomplete to celebrate this day without the most important person in his life... but he didn't want to be a brat about it. He was older now; mature and understanding. He could live with it...

"Eren!" a familiar voice called out to him, shaking him out of his thoughts.

He turned and saw his two childhood friends, Armin and Mikasa, waving their hands to beckon him over to the entrance of the garden.

"Come on, the ceremony's about to start!! You're gonna be late if you keep daydreaming there!" Armin laughed.

Hearing that, a small grin spread his across his lips. Well, at least he was with his them...

"Hahaha! I know, I know! I'm coming!"

~*~

"... and of course, last but not least... Eren Jaeger! Congratulations on your graduation!"

Eren felt a slight wonder as to why his name was called out the last when his initial was 'E' but he didn't put too much thought into it. After all, it was his time to shine. Once this was through, it would all be over and he could go back home! He could see Levi again... He could go back to the old days...

The brunette headed up the stage with confidence and pride as he accepted his scroll from the headmaster. Cheers were heard and the sound of applause spread through the university's grounds as he pumped his hands up in triumph. A big smile overtook his features as he scanned through the waves of students around him in the outdoor stage. As if on cue, the cherry blossoms had started to bloom and some even began fluttering in the air around them.