Preface

"Hello?"

"Hello?" She sounds panicked, out of breath. "Silas?"

"Lucy. How can I help you?" I say into my phone. I lean back in my office chair, trying to relax. Working in healthcare administration, things are often life or death. That being said, people also like to make a big thing out of nothing.

"I need you to come down to the ER right now." I sigh, standing up, leaving my office weighing in my head on a scale of 1 to 10 just how dyer this will be. I'm betting a 3.

"I was just down there, not that long ago. What's going on?" I walk down the hall heading to the other end of the hospital. She cries, choking on her words. I can't understand what she is saying. "I need you to take a deep breath, Lucy, what is going on?"

"There was an accident..." her voice cracks and breaks as she speaks. She clears her throat. "Your wife—" I hang up the phone. I don't need to hear anymore. My heart drops to the floor, and I run as fast as my feet will carry me. What could have happened? She was here just a few hours ago to have lunch with me.

When I get to the ER, I see her being wheeled back. Blood is caked on the left side of her face and coats the crotch of her white jeans. The doors close separating us. I look at Lucy at reception. "What the hell happened?"

"She was in a car accident." She says behind hands that are covering her face. Annika is alive I could tell that much at that moment that I saw her, although she was covered in blood. "Seth was on duty..." Seth is her husband, the local sheriff. They live just a few houses down the road from us. Sweet couple, although we aren't close neighbors. Just friendly, "...and called me once the ambulance left to give a heads up."

"Car accident?" I feel like the room is spinning. My vision blurs. I try to focus on my hands in front of me, but they shake, not aiding in my pursuit of gaining control. I'm going to be sick. If anything happens to her, I won't survive it. This is no 3; this is a 9. If she doesn't make it, that, that will be my 10. Her in this state is the most significant pain I have ever experience. I thought I knew pain before this, but I was so wrong.

"She was hit by a semi." Jesus Christ. My legs give out from under me, and I crash down to my knees. I am just remembering the blood on her crotch. She is going to be heartbroken if I'm right. This day can't be worse. "The driver had a heart attack while driving and ran a stoplight. He didn't make it." She has gotten control of her crying. She kneels beside me, rubbing my back. She's more than old enough to be my mom and is assuming the role. All I want right now is my mom. She would hold me and know the right thing to say.

"Will she be okay?"

"She will be okay. I just know it." If she isn't right, I may as well give up the ghost and die myself. Better yet, let her spirit haunt me.

If she is leaving this earth, I have to know why. Why did she deserve this? Why do I?