17. Hagrid's Dragon

Y/N's POV

The excitement from Gryffindor's victory and overtaking Slytherin still hadn't died out since I still had a few people come everyday commenting about me catching the Snitch in such a short time. Right after the match, the Weasley twins and Issac held a party in the Common Room where they had a lot of food and drinks to share.

Harry also told us an interesting thing he discovered one day when he was wandering around in his invisibility cloak out of bed.

"I saw Snape and Quirrel, Snape was threatening Quirrel and telling him to figure out where his loyalties lie. They were definitely talking about the Stone."

"So once Quirrel cracks, Snape will have the Stone?" I asked, not fully believing that Dumbledore would trust a teacher as pathetic as Quirrel.

Harry nodded.

"It'll be gone by next week then." Ron stated.

The four of us were getting more and more paranoid that Snape would steal the Stone and use it for worse rather than better, well three and a half of us. Hermione's attention had now been divided between the Philosopher's Stone and the end of year exams. She had started colour coding her notes and revising like crazy.

"Hermione, the exams are ages away." I told her.

"Ten weeks," Hermione snapped, "that's not ages, that's like a second to Nicolas Flamel. "

"But we're not six hundred years old," Ron reminded her, "anyways, what are you studying for?"

"What am I studying for? Are you crazy? Do you realise we need to pass these exams to get into the second year? They're very important, I should have started studying a month ago, I don't know what's gotten into me..."

The teachers seemed to be thinking along the same line as Hermione as they piled a lot of homework on us for the Easter holidays. It wasn't half as fun as the Christmas holidays since exams were on all the teacher's minds.

One day, we decided to visit Hagrid and we were met with a very shocking surprise. We were just asking him about the Stone and trying to find as much as we could (we managed to find out which teachers were protecting it).

After we finished interrogating him, Ron asked him about the egg that was in the fire.

"Where did you get the Dragon's egg?" Ron asked, obviously recognising it from maybe something his older brother Charlie showed him.

"Won it," said Hagrid, "las' night. I was down in the village havin' a few drinks an' got into a game o' cards with a stranger. Think he was quite glad ter get rid of it, ter be honest."

"But what are you going to do with it when it's hatched?" asked Hermione.

"Well, I've bin doin' some readin'," said Hagrid, pulling a large book from under his pillow, "got this outta the library, Dragon Breeding for Pleasure and Profit. It's a bit outta date, o' course, but it's all in here. Keep the egg in the fire, 'cause their mothers breathe on I em, see, an' when it hatches, feed it on a bucket o' brandy mixed with chicken blood every half hour. An' see here, how ter recognize diff'rent eggs, what I got there's a Norwegian Ridgeback. They're rare, them."

"Hagrid, you live in a wooden house," I stated whilst Ron and Harry were trying not to laugh.

Later, we wanted to watch the egg hatch so Ron proposed that we skip Herbology to go straight to Hagrid's hut much to Hermione's dismay.

"How many times are we gonna see a Dragon's egg hatch?" Harry said, wanting to see the egg hatch as well.

Ron, Harry and Hermione argued all the way to Herbology and in the end, Hermione agreed to run down to Hagrid's with us during morning break. When the bell sounded from the castle at the end of our lesson, the four of us dropped our trowels at once and hurried through the grounds to the edge of the forest. Hagrid greeted us, looking very excited.

"It's nearly out!" he said whilst ushering us inside.

We all got chairs and sat down anxiously, not sure of what was going to happen.

All at once there was a scraping noise and the egg split open. The baby Dragon flopped onto the table. It wasn't exactly pretty, I thought it looked like a crumpled, black umbrella. Its spiny wings were huge compared to its skinny jet body, it had a long snout with wide nostrils, the stubs of horns and bulging, orange eyes.

Then it sneezed and a few sparks came out of its nostrils.

"Isn't he beautiful?" Hagrid murmured. He reached out a hand to stroke the Dragon's head.

"Hagrid," said Hermione, "how fast do Norwegian Ridgebacks grow, exactly?"

Hagrid was about to answer when the colour suddenly drained from his face, he leapt to his feet and ran to the window.

"What's the matter?" I asked

"Someone was lookin' through the gap in the curtains, it's a kid, he's runnin' back up ter the school."

The four of us bolted to the door and looked out. Even at a distance, there was no mistaking him.

Malfoy had seen the Dragon.