4. Professor Snape

Y/N's POV

My first week at Hogwarts was better than I ever imagined, I loved every second of it. There was Astrology every Wednesday at midnight which was interesting, there was Charms with Professor Flitwick, there was History of Magic which although was a little bit boring, I still enjoyed.

There was also Transfiguration with Professor McGonagall which really intrigued me. Our first Transfiguration task was a match to a needle. At the end of the lesson, only Hermione and I managed it. McGonagall seemed really impressed and gave both of us a rare smile.

The class I had also been looking forward to was Defence Against the Dark Arts but Quirrel seemed to be a joke of a Professor. His room smelled like garlic, apparently to protect it from some vampires he met and his turban was a gift for fighting off a zombie. It seemed like nonsense since Quirrel wasn't willing to go into detail.

Today was a Friday and I had double Potions with Snape, after that I had my afternoons off. Everyone was saying that as Head of Slytherin he favoured them, I just listened to these rumours and carried on walking to Potions.

When I arrived at Potions I saw that there was a free seat next to Hermione.

"Mind if I sit here?" I asked.

She looked at me and replied. "Sure thing Y/N. I saved this seat for you."

Hermione and I had gotten close over the first week of Hogwarts since I would always sit next to her in lessons and we would take notes and work together. She was very smart and the two of us were normally the first two people to finish a task.

"You are here to learn the subtle science and exact art of Potion-making," Snape began, "as there is little foolish wand-waving here, many of you will hardly believe this is magic. I don't expect you will really understand the beauty of the softly simmering cauldron with its shimmering fumes, the delicate power of liquids that creep through human veins, bewitching the mind, ensnaring the senses...I can teach you how to bottle fame, brew glory, even put a stopper on death."

Everyone looked intrigued and I was watching Snape with as much focus as I had. He then saw Harry and decided to pick on him.

"What would I get if I added the powdered root of asphodel to an infusion of wormwood?"

"I don't know sir." Harry replied whilst both me and Hermione's hand were in the air.

"Clearly fame isn't everything...where would you look if I told you to find me a bezoar?"

"I don't know sir."

"Thought you wouldn't open a book before coming, eh, Potter? What is the difference, Potter, between monkshood and wolfsbane?" Snape sneered.

At this point, me and Hermione were practically standing up since we were dying to answer these questions.

"I don't know," Harry said quietly, "but I think Hermione and Y/N do, why don't you try them?"

This earned a few laughs from the class but Snape looked unimpressed.

"Sit down." he snapped at me and Hermione.

"For your information, Potter, asphodel and wormwood make a sleeping potion so powerful it is known as the Draught of Living Death. A bezoar is a stone taken from the stomach of a goat and it will save you from most poisons. As for monkshood and wolfsbane, they are the same plant, which also goes by the name of aconite. Well? Why aren't you all copying that down?"

The whole class started getting their quills and parchment out and hastily taking notes.

"And a point will be taken from Gryffindor for your cheek, Potter." Snape added.

Throughout the lesson, things only seemed to get worse for Harry as Snape was picking on him for everything he did. I was about to stand up for him but Hermione nudged me. "I wouldn't if I were you."

After the lesson ended I didn't bother trying to catch up with Harry or Ron, they told me they were going to Hagrid's in the afternoon. Instead, I went to the library with Hermione.

Potions with Snape was eventful, to say the least.