|Words|

Chapter Eleven

|Words|

Heavily Unedited

Heavily Unedited

Black spots dotted the fairly cold shivering grounds. There was no downpour this time, no weeping sound admits the people. Not were there any ghosts of past or present regretting over the cruel happenings of the painful past.

No mourn, no loss nor guilt was pitied upon Annie. Though, the loss was expressed for Edna and Elizabeth.

As Alex looked at the brooding, unforgiving mass of people, his heart went out to Elizabeth's words.

Her last few words for him, only him.

He went towards the podium set up for the Mayor. Tapping his fingers slightly on the mic, all the heads snapped towards his direction. 

The people stared at him in confusion, their mouths partly open, their eyes bloodshot. 

Alex took a deep sigh before pulling his face closer to the mic, "I have something important to tell you."

Frowns were greeted by this as there were whispers. People readied themselves to hear what the Detective had to say.

"As you all know, we’ve come here today to mark our presence in the funeral of Elizabeth Scottson, Edna Scottson, and Annie Bradshaw. I think that by now, each of you knows what happened, but I’m sure that I’ll be able to prove your belief wrong.

"I’m afraid the townspeople have been kept away from the knowledge of the actual series of events, and I think that it’s time that you know the truth. 

"Elizabeth Scottson was a liar, a great actress, and even a better manipulator. Elizabeth lied to the police, she was unable to see the future in her dreams. She made up those stories, and she made them well enough too.

"That ability of hers brings me to a question. What tempted her to lie? What must have gone so wrong with a seventeen-year-old girl that forced her to do all this? 

"Elizabeth suffered from anxiety and constant depression. She was a broken girl who carried the weight of her broken wings on her shoulders and yet managed to stand. All she failed was to walk with them. 

"Elizabeth was not given the importance or love she should have given in her childhood. This had a deafening impact on her. This turned her into a liar. She was just yet another casualty of the fire of tyranny of brutal perception. 

"She was scorned. Her mind didn’t work the way it should have, all she ever learned was the art of weaving a tapestry of lies. She kept us all in the dark till her death. 

"Elizabeth knew that her best friend was a killer but she kept it a secret.

"But we can’t blame Elizabeth for that, nor can we blame Edna for not loving her daughter, because that would be a major lie. Edna loved her daughter, way more than anything, all she was trying to do was protect her daughter.

"As for Mr. Montgomery, I can’t find it in myself to blame him either. All he wanted was his daughter. We can’t possibly blame a man for loving his child to the furthest limits.

"In the much bigger picture comes Annie Bradshaw. 

"She was kind of complex. Annie Bradshaw was sometimes the sweet, simple, and cheerful girl. While sometimes she was a ruthless, cold-hearted lady who didn’t care about who she killed.

"She must’ve not killed these girls without a cause. There must have been a rational reason for what she did. I wondered about this too but Elizabeth’s final letter to me cleared all my doubts.

"Annie suffered from multiple personality disorder, plain and simple. Her father always used to make her feel down by constantly comparing her to everyone since childhood. And for a small child, this was something impossible to deal with all by herself. 

"Annie kept it all trapped in her heart until one day, one became her own poison. It was inflicted on her mind that many were better than her, and whoever was better needed to be erased from existence.

"Annie’s mind worked in a way even she was not able to comprehend. We can’t blame her, how can we call her evil? She was just a sweet simple girl who wanted nothing but love.

"Elizabeth and Edna Scottson were victims, so were Mr. Montgomery and Annie.

"I came here not to speak in their funeral but to deliver a message that I wish you all engrave in your memory forever, for if you don’t, I’m afraid death and pain will come on swift showers of misery and illness upon the town like a plague once again.

"Without further ado, I’m going to deliver the message that I was asked to deliver. A question.

"If these people are not to blame, then who is? 

"The answer to this question was very difficult but like always Elizabeth didn’t fail to answer it in the simplest way.

"Society is the one to blame. We are the one to blame

"Elizabeth turned into a liar because of the ignorance she suffered from. Edna turned into a cold person because of the thorns she had in her life. Maxon turned into a killer because he was declined of the simplest thing in his life, his daughter. Annie turned into a monster because of the constant forms she faced.

"I want you all to think about this and remember my words before saying anything to anyone, even if it's your children."

He gulped audibly as his grip loosened from the mic. His words were met by a deep silence.

No whispers.

Alex looked at the people, a thin line marking his face.

He walked down the podium, his feet paddocking the ground as he moved towards the three dark caskets placed on the ground.

He looked at the sleeping Elizabeth, a sigh escaping his lips. Bending down and taking out the gift from his pocket, he placed the white rose in her cold hands before he closed the casket.

A white flower for the kindest girl.

He had done what she had asked for. He had fulfilled her last wish. He hoped that her soul will now be able to rest in peace.

1022 words

***

Question Time

Q. A four-six line comment on the whole chapter (plotwise)?

Q. Your thoughts about this story so far (plotwise)?

Author's Note

I know there was the epilogue after Chapter Ten but I had to separate it into two parts as it was necessary.

Stay tuned for the epilogue!