“Please James,” I begged, “Just trust me this once, please.”

James let out a sigh and pulled away. He turned his back towards me and his head was tilted slightly to the side, thinking.

My breath caught in my throat, and I stood there silently waiting for an answer.

“Fine,” he mumbled turning towards me. “What do I need to do?”

A smile broke across my face and I pulled him into a huge hug. “Thank-you so much. Now here is my plan…”

******   ********   ****** *******   ********

We snuck back into the castle, James keeping an ear out and me leading the way. I led us to the door down to the dungeons. We peeked around the corner, and there, just as I had thought, was a guard standing watch. He was standing rim-rod straight and staring straight ahead. I recognized the man. He was the same one who had led me back to my room when I was eight all those years ago. He had been there the night of my father’s murder, and didn’t do anything about it.

“Kill him,” I whispered, my eyes narrowed in hatred.

James looked at me with an alarmed expression. I had told him all he needed to do was knock him out, but now that I knew who the man was I changed my mind.

“Alyssa, we don’t need to kill the man…”

“Do it,” I snapped and James complied. With his blinding vampire speed James ran over and snapped the guy’s neck before he even knew what had happened. Then James slid his arms under the dead man’s armpits, dragged him away and left his body in a nearby room and shut the door. I watched this with no guilt or remorse. I was finally getting part of my well-deserved revenge, and I loved every minute of it.

James opened the door with the keys he had taken from the man’s belt. He unlocked the door and bolted down the stairwell, ready to take on the next guards. I walked slowly down the stairs after him. By the time I had got there James had already taken out the two other guards.

“Thanks,” I said, “Now go stand watch, I’ll be there in a minute.” He nodded, tossing me the keys as he went, which I caught and walked over to Chase’s cell door.

I picked the first key off the ring. It didn’t work. Neither did the next one. The third one fit in the hole and the lock clicked as it opened. I smiled to myself, third times the charm.

I swung open the door and walked in. There, lying in a defeated heap sat my Chase.

“Hey,” I whispered.

He glanced up at me, his green eyes glowing in the darkness. I could barely see and using the wall as my guide I walked over to him.