Chapter 9

Ok here is chapter 9!!!! I hope you like! How do you like my new cover? One of my amazing friends made it for me!  You have to admit its at least better than the ugly red one that everyone starts out with...  Well please vote, comment, fan! I would really like to hear what you think about my story so far!!

Chapter 9

Alyssa’ POV

“One loaf please.”  I told the man behind the counter.  He reached back picked one up and handed it to me.  I grabbed it from his outstretched hand and started to break it in half when a terrible pain shot up my leg.  My legs gave out from underneath me and I fell to the ground.  I looked to my leg and saw an arrow sticking out from it.  I couldn’t believe this was happening.  I looked up and saw another arrow heading straight towards me, it’s target, my heart.  I unconsciously squeezed my eyes shut waiting for it to hit, but it never did.  I peeked opened my eyes to find Chase kneeling beside me and an arrow snapped in half on the ground not even a few feet away.  All I could think about was making it back to the castle so somebody could look at my leg, and get as far away from the person who is shooting at me.

“Chase,” I said through gritted teeth, “Get me to the castle.”  He nodded in response and picked me up as carefully as he could.  I could tell he was trying hard not to make my leg hurt, but any little movement hurt it otherwise.  Then he started running.  It was like nothing I had ever experienced before.  He was going so fast everything was a blur, it was amazing, but that only distracted me from the problem at hand for a few moments.

My leg felt like it was on fire, but what did I expect?  I had an arrow sticking out of my thigh!  And to make it worse, every time my heart beat my leg throbbed in tune and more blood pulsed out of the wound.  I wanted to think of anything that would distract me from the pain in my leg, and my mind grasped the first thing I could think of. 

“Chase, what about the horses?”

He looked at me in bewilderment “What about them?”

“Well what if somebody steals them?  The brown one was my favorite…”

“You have an arrow sticking out of your leg and you are worried about the horses!” he exclaimed.

I nodded at him slowly, then looked away, men can be so clueless sometimes.  Why can’t he tell that I just needed a distraction?

 He sighed before answering me. “I will make sure somebody goes back and grabs them as soon as we get to the castle.”

“Promise?” I asked.

“Promise.”

I nodded in return and watched as his gaze snapped back to my leg.  He was staring at it with a look of desire, and it momentarily confused me.  That’s when it hit me.  Chase was a vampire and he wanted to drink my blood.  How could I be so distracted not to notice that before?  It must be really hard for him to be this close to me and hold himself from drinking my blood.

“Oh and Chase?”

His gaze snapped back up to my face and I saw, for an instant, a guilty expression, before it turned into a concerned one. “Yea?”

“Don’t drink my blood.” I replied in a playful manner, but I think he could hear the hidden warning behind my words.  Of course I wouldn’t punish him if he did, but I would be mad at him for a while.

He nodded in understanding, and turned his head so he was looking straight ahead.

“Hey,” he announced in a relieved tone, “I can see the castle!  We are almost there.”