Chapter 22

Well i have finally written a chapter! yay! ok, so, i hope you like! It's kinda on the short side but anyways...vote, comment, fan!!!!

Chapter 22

Chase’s POV

            There came a knock on the door early this morning. Alyssa groaned and looked up. “I’ll get it,” she muttered and got out of bed. She ran her fingers through her tangled hair as she opened the door. I propped my head up on my hand and looked to see who it was from the bed.

            A maid was standing in the door and handed Alyssa a note. “From the King,” she murmured, keeping her head down and not meeting Alyssa’s eyes.

            Alyssa unfolded the note, the crackling of paper was loud in the quiet room. She read it over and slipped it up the sleeve of her gown.

            “Thank-you, you may leave,” she told the maid who curtsied and walked off. Alyssa closed the door quietly behind her.

            She turned and walked back towards me. She had a small smile on her face. “What does it say?” I asked. Her smile slipped from her face.

            “Um… I have to go somewhere. I’ll be back a little after dark,” she told me.

            “Where are you going?” I asked worriedly. I didn’t like having her out of my sight any longer than a couple minutes because of the threat of someone trying to kill her. Plus I didn’t trust the king near her.

            “I can’t tell you…” she said and dipped her head down, not meeting my eyes.

            I got up and walked over to where she was standing. I lifted her chin up and pushed her hair out of her eyes. I smiled gently at her and she smiled in return. I kissed her on lightly on the lips and then pulled her in for a tight hug. “Promise me you’ll be careful,” I murmured.

            She laughed and said, “Promise. I’ll be back before dark, all in one piece. Now I have to go. I’ll be fine.”

            I nodded and she pulled away and quickly walked out the door, excitement glistening in her eyes. I wondered where exactly she was going. I wished I knew and wanted to be there with her. I didn’t like the thought of leaving her unprotected. Where ever she was going I knew it had something to do with the king, and I didn’t trust the king one bit. Sighing I sat on the bed angry that I didn’t know what was going on.

            I waited a while just laying there before I finally got up. I headed towards the kitchen, thirsty.

            Margret looked up as I came in. “Where’s the Princess?” she asked.

            I shrugged hating that I didn’t know. She got me a glass of blood and sat it down on the table in front of me. I picked it up and greedily drank it all. Then I got up and walked out. I was in a gloomy mood. I could already feel myself reversing back to my old habits, before I met Alyssa, before I loved her. I know that I was probably overreacting, but I didn’t like her out of my sight. So many things could go wrong. I didn’t want to lose her. I know she has been gone from me for a day before, I think it's just the thought of not knowing where she is is what's bothering me.

            I walked gloomily around the castle. Alyssa’s usual cheer wasn’t there to lift my spirits and I already missed her smile and her dress as it brushed up against my side as we walked around. I sighed. This was what love was. Missing that one person when they have only left you for a day. Wondering if they were safe. Hoping they were, and wishing you were there next to them.

******** ******** ********

            I walked back to Alyssa’s room and sat on her bed. It was almost dark and I figured I would wait here for her till she got back.

            The door burst open and Alyssa ran in crying. “He hurt her and we didn’t even do anything!” she mumbled while sobbing.

            I started at her with wide eyes and quickly ran to her side and wrapped my arms around her. “He hurt her Chase,” she cried and started sobbing even more into my chest.

            I effortlessly picked her up and put her on the bed. She curled up to my side and I started rubbing her back soothingly. It broke my heart to see her crying, to see her this sad.

“Shhh it’s okay,” I told her waiting patiently for her to stop crying. I knew it probably wasn’t actually okay and I wondered what she was talking about. I wanted to kill the person who had made her cry. As soon as I found out who it was they were going to be dead by next morning.

She finally did, wiped away the tears, and looked up at me with sad pain filled blue eyes. I loved her eyes. They were big and baby blue, just like the sky on a clear cloudless day.

“Take a deep breath,” I instructed her, “And tell me what happened. Who hurt her? Who are you talking about?” She took a deep shuddery breath and looked like she was on the verge of tears again.

            Alyssa’s POV

            I looked up at his loving worried face. I wanted to tell him so bad it hurt. If I told him I knew it could hurt him, but I needed someone to know, someone to understand, someone I could talk to. Chase could be killed if HE found out though, and I don’t know if I could take it if he died.

            I didn’t know what to do. I wish I had someone there to tell me what I should do. Almost everyone close to me had been taken away though. I didn’t want to add another person to that list.

            He suddenly cupped my face in his hands and kissed slowly and sweetly. Then he pulled back and said, “I love you Alyssa,” he said huskily, his face not even an inch from mine, “And I need to know what is making you cry.”

            I felt my heart beat quicker and my cheeks turned pink and warm tingles shot through my body. He loved me. Gone was the sadness, now a vague memory as happiness filled me up. He loved me. I couldn’t believe it.

            Realizing he was sitting there waiting for an answer I smiled at him and said, “I love you too.” And I meant it.

            We kissed again, this time longer. I t was a soft reassuring kiss. I was so happy I could have cried. I tangled my hands through his hair, playing with his soft locks as he pulled me closer and the kiss deepened.  

We pulled back, we both knew we had other matters to take care of. I took a deep breath just like he told me to and made a decision.

            “I’m going to give you a choice,” I told him. “I could tell you everything, why I’m so scared of my father, who keeps trying to kill me, but if I did it would put you in danger, you could be killed. Or I just won’t tell you anything and you can just stand by my side safe and always there, not in any danger.”

            I begged him with my eyes to choose the safer one but I didn’t think he would and part of me would be glad. The part that wanted him to stay safe and unharmed was screaming at me not to tell him. But he loved me, and I him. He was right. He needed to know what was happening.

            “Tell me,” he whispered softly.

            I nodded and leaned my back against him and my head pressed tightly against his chest. He wrapped his strong arms around me and it felt right. I felt safe for once in my life. I took a deep breath thinking of what to say, how to start out. The memories of what happened flooded to me in vivid detail just like I was there. Part of me was.

            He ran his hand over my head soothingly, and I instantly relaxed. He didn’t rush me, he knew I would tell him as soon as I was ready. And I would tell him. Tonight. Right now.