17. First Impressions? I Have Some Suggestions

The way one is perceived by the world is everything. If the world believes that someone is a fool, that someone is underestimated, brushed off as unimportant or useless. In some ways this can be a hinderance, in other ways; an asset. You could say that the fool, or joker, is the most powerful card in the deck – they can be anything.

Hiccup had always been considered a fool, of sorts, what with being utterly useless with all things Viking – this allowed him to exist under the radar, and become something amazing; a dragon rider.

Tuffnut had always been disregarded, ever the joker. While he and his sister were jokers, they were much more. He was very observant, and she was incredibly skilled in formulating plans.

For example, his observations allowed him to see Hiccup for what he was, a protector. The boy had been holding back in the fight the previous night, he hadn't wanted to injure anyone. Hiccup had only started really fighting when the girl – Aurora, was it? – had been threatened.

Tuffnut wasn't the village idiot he pretended to be, he was smarter than Snotlout – not that such an achievement was difficult – but not as book smart as Fishlegs, he was more inclined towards the survival and practical types of intelligence than dragon trivia.

He was curious about how Hiccup had spent the past years and about his unusual companions, but he knew in his gut that the boy would not be welcoming any questions about such things any time soon. Tuffnut has seen how the dragon riders had fought together, it was exactly how he and his sister did. It was clear – at least to the twins – that they were brother and sister. An inseparable duo not unlike themselves.

The twins didn't mention this to anyone in the village, knowing they wouldn't be taken seriously. Besides, it was incredibly entertaining to listen as people whispered about the idea of the dragon riders being lovers, especially when Astrid heard the rumours and took out her anger on Snotlout. Poor Snotlout didn't understand why he was being attacked, he'd stopped being super obnoxious and obsessed with Astrid years ago, he was almost bearable now. He was still a little up his own – ooh look, a pancake! – but considerably less egotistical. The twins were looking forward to everyone's faces when they found out the truth, it was going to be hilarious.

When Astra woke up, she glanced around the room, taking everything in. She noticed Toothless and Hiccup were still asleep, Gothi was watching everyone with Heller asleep across her shoulders and a kindly smile on her face. Aurora was still unconscious, but her breathing was steady and even, she may have simply been asleep. Astra trilled quietly in delight – her rider was going to be okay!

She heard a low chuckle, and turned her head towards Gothi, whose eyes crinkled along the worn lines of her face as she laughed. The sound was pretty, childlike with glee, but quiet enough not to wake anyone – the laughter bubbled from her like water from a brook, as though it had been contained and restrained for too long. Astra snorted playfully, as though annoyed, with a pouting expression on her face and rolling her eyes.

Astrid struck the tree with her axe, deja-vu transporting her to a similar event five years earlier, the only difference being that she was older and more experienced – and that feelings of relief and regret were mingling with the rage that she was so used to. Another emotion was present also, one that was foreign and had surfaced when she had heard a rumour about a certain auburn-haired dragon rider and his female companion who Astrid wanted to murder – or perhaps maim, she couldn't decide which would give her more satisfaction. Unfortunately the village elder and only healer had informed everyone that they were not to be harmed, and everyone was obeying because – let's face it – Gothi was terrifying. Astrid was even more furious that her friends weren't willing to assist her in maiming and/or killing Hiccup, she was really hoping they'd be up for it. As her friends were such cowards, she would have to wait for him to leave the village – or at least the Chief's hut – before she could jump him, demand answers and possibly maim and/or kill him. She couldn't wait.

Hiccup awoke to chuckles and blinked blearily in the unexpected darkness. A low grumble sounded from behind him, and he turned his head to see two sleep-filled, somewhat irritated luminous eyes staring back at him. The grumble sounded as groggy as the boy was feeling, and he almost laughed as the wings sheltering him from the dawn's light lazily retracted, before flopping onto the floor – surprisingly quietly – as his draconic companion dozed off again. I'll never understand how he does that so quickly.

Hiccup clambered – clumsily but quietly – over the dozing dragon's leathery wings, not realising that the giggles were now focused on him stumbling over Toothless' wings in an effort to not disturb his 'bud'. An image that, I'm sure, you're laughing at as it repeats in your mind; I certainly am. He eventually noticed and laughed sarcastically – of course – he was not offended, it was all in good fun and he had experienced worse situations. He rolled his eyes.

"Yeah, lets all laugh at the poor, one-legged stumbling dragon rider who's trying not to wake his very-not-a-morning-dragon at dawn. You guys are no help." At this, Astra snorted and waved her injured wing, gesturing to Aurora with her uninjured one and wincing at her foolish choice to move her bad one. Gothi shook her head and sighed, glaring at Astra and Hiccup playfully but with a hint of severity. Astra made an innocent I-don't-know-what-you're-talking-about face and Hiccup scratched the back of his neck nervously with a beet red face.

"Heh-heh, I guess you have a pretty good excuse." Gothi rolled her eyes, seemingly debating whether to hit him upside the head with her staff or not.

Then Stoick walked in.

AN: I am so so so so sorry this is like 3 weeks late! I was at NCS and had writers block and was reading Percy Jackson fanfictions. Please forgive me!

Also, I have a book I've called "Updates and Excuses" and I'm answering questions you guys comment on it! (Because I got tagged and I'm pretty sure that's what I have to do?) Please ask me questions and I will answer them there, the rules are in the book and hopefully not too restrictive. I look forward to answering lots of questions!
Thank you so much to my beta fuzzyellie, without whom this would have taken a lot longer to get done. Thank you to @DragonL0rd for the comment that helped a lot with my writers block.

Thank you all for your patience, I'm trying to get a regular update schedule, I promise!
See you next time!