6. Before The Storm

Hiccup hadn't said a single word since his outburst, and that was an hour ago, it's fair to say that Toothless was worried.

His hatchling was far too quiet to be okay, and was simply staring at the sea, eyes unfocused and lost in his thoughts. The dragon was nervous, he couldn't look after the boy in his own head, and he wasn't sure whether to snap him out of it or not. Fortunately, his choice was made for him when a grass-colored Terrible Terror with scarlet spines flew straight into Hiccup's face.

"Ow! What the Hel?!" He cried.

"Dragons, trapped," the small dragon shrieked, clearly out of breath as they dissolved into indecipherable growls and trills.

"Whoa, whoa! Slow down! Breathe! Can you tell me what happened, slowly?" Toothless roared.

"I was a prisoner of the two-legs, they used me to train their offspring in how to murder my brethren. I escaped when my brothers and sisters attacked, but I heard the two-legs talking about the upcoming murder of Brother-Nightmare. He is trapped just as I was and cannot escape because he is too big! I flew non-stop for a day to find you, Brother-Fury! You must save him and my other fellow prisoners! Please!"

"Of course, brother. Hiccup, we need to go!"

The Terror looked again at the boy he had landed on, just now realising he had landed on a human. The Terror shrieked in horror and fear and anger.

"A two-legs! Do we flee or fight?!"

"No! We remain, this two-legs is different, Brother-Terror. He is one of us now!"

"Please don't be afraid! I won't hurt you I promise!" Hiccup assured the dragon.

"He speaks our tongue! How?!"

"Toothless taught me—" Hiccup started.

"Who is this 'Toothless'? You mean another two-legs knows our speak?!"

"I am Toothless, Brother-Terror."

"No you aren't! You have teeth!"

"My name is Toothless." 

"But you clearly have teeth! I—"

"That is beside the point." Hiccup interrupted. "You say there are trapped dragons?" The Terror regarded him carefully, before deciding that there was too much at stake to worry about a tiny two-legs.

"Yes, I need Brother-Fury's help to free them, so I followed his scent, but I didn't smell a two-legs..." the Terror trailed off, sniffing Hiccup as he stayed very still, "I can barely smell you, even now – was this your doing Brother-Fury?"

"Yes," Toothless answered without hesitation, "He is my hatchling and my brother-in-arms."

"He smells familiar," the Terror muttered, then he spoke louder, "We must save my fellow captives, brothers. As soon as possible, I fear for their lives."

"We will set out straight away. I shall carry you, Brother-Terror, you must guide us and rest your wings." Toothless said, before turning to Hiccup. "Gather everything you need, we must leave soon."

**********

They were ready, and launched into the air as soon as Hiccup was securely in the saddle. The Terrible Terror was nervous about riding with a Viking, but relaxed soon after they set off, as Hiccup had applied some herbs to his wings that eased their aching. The Terror became slowly more and more sure that he had met this boy before, or knew him from somewhere.

The trio followed the Terror's directions until they reached a familiar island. Hiccup and Toothless cursed quietly, but the Terror was too focused on the sky – to notice – it was sunset.

"This is the island?"

"Yes." Another curse from Hiccup and Toothless.

"We should wait for the raid, brothers." Toothless said. "The chaos will make our goal easier, and the darkness will cloak us." 

"Agreed, it should start in about an hour. Until then, we should rest and plan." Hiccup said. 

The Terror knew that it was the logical solution, but prayed that they wouldn't be too late to save their brethren, he also hoped that the boy would tell them when this 'hour' was up, as such silly made-up time measurements meant nothing to dragons.

The hour passed slowly for Hiccup, he had formulated a workable plan in mere minutes and told the other two, but now he was working on the other plan, the one he had been thinking about when the Terror smashed into his face. He knew it would require a lot of firepower, and hoped the other dragons would help.

He had a sudden thought and, turning to the Terror, called out in dragonese.

"Hey, um, you! I have a question!"

"Yes, Brother-Two-Legs?"

"Um, I'm Hiccup, but okay. Do you have a name?"

"What is a 'name'?"

"Like how Toothless is called Toothless? And I'm called Hiccup?"

"I am Brother-Terror to all I know. What difference does a 'name' make?"

"It sets you apart from others, I guess? Surely if every Terror is Brother- or Sister-Terror it gets confusing?"

"That is true."

"Would you like one?"

"One what?"

"A name?"

"You have power to give 'names'?"

"I guess anyone can, I know that a name helped me and Toothless bond, maybe it could work in a similar way?"

"Hmm, yes. I like the idea of this 'name'. You may give me one."

"Okay, um, can I think about it? I don't want to give you a name you don't like." 

"Very well, inform me when you have found a 'name' befitting of a dragon of my stature." 

Hiccup had to bite back a snigger at that.

"Okay then, I will."

Then they waited for the chaos to come, Hiccup trying to think of a good name for the Terrible Terror while they watched Berk from afar.

AN: I'm sorry this is a day later than planned! Any ideas for Terror names and names for other dragons would be greatly appreciated! I can't do the next part until I have a name for the Terror and I can't think of one. Until next time.