12. Players never change.

"Please?" Maria begged for the hundredth time today, and I let out a sigh. A headache was forming from her relentless pleas.

"Fine, I'll go!" I exclaimed, feeling my frustration grow from her persistent pestering.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you!" she screamed in my ear as if she had just won a million bucks. It was Friday, and she had been incessantly nagging me about attending the stupid football game later today.

"But under one condition," I interjected, bursting her bubble of joy.

"What?" she asked, curiosity replacing her excitement.

"Steff has to come with us," I declared, feigning interest in my suddenly fascinating fingernails. I could sense her deep in thought from the corner of my eye.

"Fine, he can come too," she reluctantly agreed, walking away with a groan.

"Great, I'll let him know!" I called after her as I headed to my free period.

In my free period, Steff joined me, having ditched his own class to be with me. Though he claimed it was to spend time together, I knew he mainly did it to avoid his despised French class. So, we decided to study for our science quiz in the fourth period.

"I can't believe you're actually going," Steff remarked, a hint of surprise in his voice.

"Yeah, me neither," I replied, sharing his sentiment.

"The team is playing against Crosswell High, our biggest rivals. We've been losing to them every year, always ending up as runners-up," he said, a frown etching across his face. Then he quickly added, "Oh, and I also heard that Kristen, Marco, Maurice, and Kyle tried out for the football team yesterday. You know what that means?"

"What?" I asked, intrigued.

"Kristen was made the football team captain and quarterback," he replied, nudging my shoulder. "The buzz around the school is that this year we might have a greater chance of winning the title!"

"Why does that not surprise me?" I responded sarcastically.

The coach had been desperate for the four of them to join the team for years, going as far as pleading with the principal to make it happen. Their remarkable performances during P.E. classes always garnered attention.

"Yeah, Cole, the former football captain, is going insane, and Regina has gone ballistic, boasting about her boyfriend being the school's team captain," Steff shared.

"Psychotic bitch," I muttered under my breath.

"Tell me about it. She's planning on throwing a party after the football game later," he finished.

"Well, I'm planning on bringing Maria to the party after the match. Do you think she'd go out with me?" he asked, his question catching me off guard.

"Why the hell would you want to go there in the first place?!" I exclaimed, after taking a moment to process his bizarre question.

"Well, maybe because I'm trying to get laid?" he replied in an unapologetic tone.

"Can't you find someone else to hook up with instead of my seventeen-year-old cousin? She's too young to be having sex," I whispered.

"That's not what she told me," he mumbled under his breath.

"What?"

"Nothing."

"Aren't you, like, not on the guest list since you're an outcast or something?" I asked.

Steff was once a popular guy in our school but had become an outcast after he grew tired of the spotlight and drama that came with popularity.