Chapter 2

(Adrien's POV)
After my therapy session, I step outside to find Nathalie waiting in the car. She steps out of the driver seat and moves to the shotgun. I sit down in the driver seat and turn on the engine. I put the car in drive and head towards our house.

After I turned sixteen, Nathalie enrolled me in driver's ed and tried teaching me how to drive. However...

"RED LIGHT AHEAD!!! SLOW DOWN!!!" Nathalie screams.

"Nathalie, please calm down," I say calmly, "It's hard to concentrate when you-"

"STEP ON THE BRAKES!!!!"

I quickly slam my foot on the brake pedal. Let's just say... It wasn't a very smooth stop. Also, don't be like me and slam your foot on the brakes unless you want them to brake... Worst pun ever, but I tried.

Nathalie's always panicking whenever I drive. I try telling her to calm down so I can focus, but that lady has no chill when it comes to teen drivers like me.

~

We arrive home and I lay down in my soft bed.

"Man, drivers these days are crazy," I say to Plagg, "I swear I get honked at every time I stop"

"Adrien, that's because you're too nice on the road. There are times where you can't just let others go first"

I shrug, "I'm also just trying to be a safe driver"

Okay, I gotta admit... I suck at driving. No wonder Nathalie always yells at me when I'm behind the wheel.

Just then, I hear the doorbell ring. Nathalie's voice followed shortly after.

"Adrien! Your friend Marinette is here!"

Marinette?

I jump out of bed and run out my room to the front door. The bluenette was standing in the doorway, smiling.

"Hi, Adrien!"

"Hey, come on in"

I step aside and let her walk in, closing the door behind her. We proceed to make our way up the flight of stairs.

"What brings you here?" I ask.

I open the door and she steps into my room, "I just wanted to stop by and say hi"

She looked at my arms, which are now exposed. Since the scars on my arms have healed, I could roll my sleeves up again.

"Have you been eating well?" She asks.

"Well... I'm eating more than I have been in the past couple months"

"How was therapy? Today was your first day, right?"

I shrug, "It wasn't bad. My therapist is a pretty cool guy"

"Lastly," her face becomes serious, "Are you okay?"

I exhale and allow my head to fall, "I'd be lying if I said I was 'okay'"

Marinette steps closer to me, making my body tense up. Her big, blue eyes stare deeply into mine. I resist the urge to step back.

"I'm here if you want to talk about it," she says quietly.

"Let's sit down first"

Marinette nods and we plop down on the couch.

"Is something bothering you?" Marinette asks.

"I don't know. It's just--ever since my story was exposed on the news, people have been giving me weird looks"

I look at the girl next to me. She nods to show that she's listening. My eyes go down to my hands.

"At school, it seems like people have been avoiding me. Except Nino, of course, but I can't help but think that people are talking about me behind my back. It's like people see me for my depression now, like I'm just the son of a child abuser"

I look back at the bluenette, not bothering to turn my head, "Do you see me for my depression?"

Marinette shakes her head, "Everyone I know has been through something worth crying about. Your depression will never define you. Remember that"

I close my eyes, "Then how do you see me?"

"I just see you as Adrien. You're my friend, and your mental illness doesn't make you any less of a human being. It doesn't change my views on you, either. No matter what, you will always be Adrien. You will always be Chat Noir"

I open my eyes and turn my head to face her, "You don't see me differently at all?"

She shakes her head, "Like I said, I just see you as Adrien. Just know that I'll always accept you for who you are"

My lips curl up only slightly, "Good to know there's someone who still accepts me"

~

(3rd Person POV)
Nathalie stands inside what used to be Gabriel's office, looking up at the portrait of Emilie. Her eyes turn to the floor, remembering the night she had encountered Emilie, who was said to be dead.

"Emilie Agreste?"

The woman in front of her nods.

"But how? I thought you were dead"

The blonde woman's lip forms a smile, "I never died, I just decided to spend some time in the States. Away from Gabriel"

"But-"

"I told an old friend to tell my family I died"

"Why would you do that?"

Emilie lets out a sigh, "You never stop asking questions, do you?"

"I'm sorry," Nathalie dips her head, "But may I tell Adrien-"

"No"

Emilie cut her off as soon as she heard her son's name. Her lips smiled again, this time an evil smile. Much like Hawkmoth's smile.

"I will get my hands on Ladybug and Chat Noir's miraculouses myself, and I know I can do it faster than Gabriel. Would you be so kind as to assist me?"

Nathalie didn't know what to do. She didn't want to help another villain out, but she was an assistant for the Agrestes after all.

Nathalie takes a deep breath before nodding.

"Thank you, Nathalie. It's a pleasure to have you by my side"