Chapter 2

Harleen awoke bright and early ready for the day. Leaving her wavy hair down and applying a little make up she went to get dressed. She put on a black dress that hugged her every curve. She knew she was beautiful and wasn't afraid to show it. 'Why cover up what God gave ya?' she thought. She slipped on her black heels and headed out the door.

She pulled up outside the asylum. She didn't know why but she was immobile. She was so excited to finally meet this character but when the time came, she froze. What would happen when they met? Would he be too crazy? Could she handle it? All these questions ran through her mind as she sat in her car.

Glancing at the time she quickly turned off the engine and headed inside. Nodding and smiling to everyone she passed she headed into her office. Right as she picked up the file she heard a knock on the door.

"Come in!" She shouted maybe a little to loud her nerves getting the best of her.

Dr. Leland walks in with a stern look upon her face. "You're gonna need to calm yourself if you plan on seeing your patient today. He's a wild card and can sense fear. He'll use that against you if he can. Don't give him that option. Come on. It's time."

They both head down to another hall where they keep all of the patients. Harleen looked and saw all of the people inside of their individual cells. Most of them looking grungy and thin. All of them looking miserable. They all stared with angry looks as the ladies passed by. They walked a good distance until they came to the last call far away in the back. It was away from everyone else. Total isolation. Harleens nerves were starting to creep up. Her stomach was in knots but she didn't show it. She kept her cool waiting for this moment.

"He's all yours. Good luck!" Leland says and strides away.

Harleen takes a big deep breath and pulls out her key card. She swipes it and walks inside. The Joker was sitting at a table in a straight jacket. The guard who had just put the jacket on nodded at me and turned to leave. "I'll be back in an hour," says the guard and closes the door behind him.

The Joker didn't look up at her. He sat there with his head down whispering to himself acting as if no one was in the room with him. She cleared her throat hoping he would look up but he still sat there motionless. The only sound was his whispering which was inaudible to her ear. 'What is he whispering about?' she thought.

She sat down in the other chair across from him. He still neglected to look up. "Ahem, Joker is it? I am Doctor Harleen Quinzel. I am here to help you."

"No one can help me," he said still looking down.

"Why do you say that?" She questioned which makes him slowly raise his head. A huge smile plastered on his face. His eyes widened once he fully saw her. She was a looker and he definitely didn't object to looking at her. His green eyes bored into her blue ones. "Well, well, well doctor. Aren't you easy on the eyes," he says while licking his lips.

"Thank you I appreciate the compliment. Now, I have a couple of questions for you," she said with a small smile. He lets out a loud laugh that makes her jump a bit.

"Anything for you doll face," he says with a big grin, a hint of seduction in his eyes.

"Great. Tell me about your family. What were your parents like?" she asked grabbing her pen ready to write down his answer.

He let out another huge laughter but this time she didn't react. "Well beautiful, both of my parents are dead. And good riddance! Those people were lunatics!" He laughs. He really did look crazy.

She wondered why he could laugh at something so horrible. What was done to this man to make him this way? "Why do you laugh at everything?" She wonders.

"Memories can be vile, repulsive little brutes. Like children I suppose. But can we live without them? Memories are what our reason is based upon. If we can't face them, we deny reason itself! Although, why not? We aren't contractually tied down to rationality! There is no sanity clause! So when you find yourself locked onto an unpleasant train of thought, heading for the places in your past where the screaming is unbearable, remember there's always madness. Madness is the emergency exit. You can just step outside, and close the door on all those dreadful things that happened. You can lock them away...forever." he says still smiling.

She was absolutely speechless. This is not the answer she was expecting. She bearly knew him and he was already pouring out his thoughts. This man in front of her was a lot more complicated than she anticipated. But this right here is exactly the reason she was excited to have the Joker as her patient in the first place, to study his twisted mind.

"What's the matter Doc? Did my answer not...satisfy you?" He asks while looking her up and down with a low growl in his throat. Something about the way he looked at her made her squirm uncomfortably but at the same time intrigued her.

The door opened up and the guard walked in which meant her time with him was up. "Yes, thank you Joker I will be seeing you next week." She left with a nod.

"Can't wait Doc! Dream of me! I'll certainly be dreaming of you in that dress!" She heard him shout behind her as she left. His hysterical laughter surrounding her.