Chapter 10: Electric Blue Eyes

- Briel -

I did not like that small little tremble in her voice. Where was Diane Greens, the homecoming queen everyone looked up to? Where did all that arrogance go? I was more used to bowing to her every whim, and I rather it stayed that way.

The neighborhood was deathly silent, given it was almost four in the morning. I was not quite sure what to feel coming back here again. Diane stood below our usual meeting spot, the third lamp post from the left. Her long blonde hair was untied and her stature looked frail. She seemed to have lost quite some weight. Why did I even agree to this?

My rational mind reminded me how much of an ungrateful and spoilt daddy's girl she was. But as much as I hated coming back here, the bitter piercing guilt that attached like a second shadow to my heart was too heavy to dislodge.

It was you! You turned her into this!

A small voice that had appeared day in and out, reminding me that it was all my fault.

Gravel crunched under my feet as I approached Diane, and her head snapped up as my shadow reached hers under the lamppost. With a start, I realized she was only wearing her nightgown. A sheer thin garment of blue cotton that did nothing against the chill of the night.

"Oh Briel, you're finally here. What took you so long? Gosh."

Diane looked the same with her perfectly trimmed red nail polish as she shot me a glare that could win the hearts of the males within her "Diane radar". Her immaculate makeup does not look out of place at all, in fact, it looks a bit thicker than usual.

Jeez, and here I was worried for this minx.

I rolled my eyes in annoyance. My wariness shifted back like a defensive shield. That familiar foxy slant of her lips reminded me of the time I first met her.

Two years ago, when I had graduated from high school, living blissfully under Rebbie's cozy little roof in a small charming neighbourhood in Soren, everything was going fantastically well. I was the cool girl with gold eyes that everyone wanted to hang out with. There were no issues with my strange need to leave my house after talking to my green "friends"– they laughed it off saying I was one-of-a-kind. It was indeed a special day because I received an invitation to join an after-party hosted by my classmate, Diane Greens.

Diane has everything a typical high school girl could dream of; Net fame, good grades, and perfect looks. I would be lying if I said I was not honored to be given a VIP pass to one of her elite parties. It was the only chance into the popular social circle and there was something alluring about being included in their ranks. I just really wanted to find a place to fit in so badly.

"Bring me with you. I don't like that blonde-haired girl." Mr Gray, the Boogey murmured as he popped his head out of my open closet. "She smells like trouble."

I grinned at my one and only true friend from the mirror, the only one who never judged me for my strange quirks because he was rather strange himself what with the obsession of hiding in dark places like closets and under beds.

"Her name is Diane and you're just jealous because you didn't receive an invitation. How do I look?"

I gestured to my glittery black dress in the mirror. It was the only dress I think was decent enough for the occasion, despite the number of zeroes attached to it.

Mr Gray only huffed and muttered in his soft voice. "You look the same as always. But you look exceptionally cute today." Before he disappeared back into the shadows to give me some privacy, always the gentle one. I chuckled at his shyness.