Prologue: We can meet again somewhere

"Jessica, come with me! It's gonna be so much fun!", my cousin Katie said to me on the phone

"Jessica, come with me! It's gonna be so much fun!", my cousin Katie said to me on the phone. I was looking out of my Mom's old bedroom window, where she spent most of her childhood and I spent some of mine. Katie was standing opposite of me, in front of her bedroom window of the house she has lived in her whole life. I, on the other hand, had moved away before starting primary school, because, as my dad claimed, the job opportunities were better in Central London, than in a small town in Cheshire. Katie had been bugging my about this stupid party the whole day and at the end, she was still waiting for an answer from me whether I was willing to go or not. I didn't feel like going, exactly how I hadn't felt like going anywhere this past year, but she was starting to get to me "You need to get out of that old stinky room and live a little."

"Hey, you know I like staying in here. Even if I'm gonna stay in here the whole summer", I defended myself. Yes, all this furniture may be a little too vintage for most people's liking, but I adored everything in this room, from the dusted record player to the torn up posters on the walls, just because it once belonged to her. That was also why I never wanted to leave it ever again. It was my safe space, the room I felt the most comfortable in and where I felt closest to her. Still, there was another thing keeping me from living a little, as Katie had phrased it, which was my dearest farther, who would have liked it just as much as I did if I stayed in this room all summer long. "Also, I doubt that my dad is gonna allow me to go to a party, you know how he is."

"Don't use him as an excuse to get out of this! Just give Uncle W those puppy eyes and he'll let his little princess go", she said mimicking the puppy eyes she was talking about through the window, making me roll my eyes. What she didn't know was that, ever since about a year ago, those puppy eyes weren't working anymore, at least not as easy as they did when I was still a child aka his little princess. "I need you there! I can't go alone and you need to have some fun. You're sixteen, for god's sake! Be a normal teenager for once."

"I feel offended", I said jokingly, sticking my tongue out to her, just like I did when we were kids. Katie was two years older than me, but so much more independent - or should I say rebellious? When she was ten and I was eight, she had convinced me to stay a night out in the fields. We had gotten in so much trouble, but she didn't care so much what other people might think of and, unlike me, she wasn't as scared of her parents. She loved them, they loved her, all three of them were still as close as ever. "But if it means so much to you-"

"It would mean the world to me", with her fingers she drew a heart in the air, making me laugh. I loved her too, she had always been there for me this past year of my life, more than my dad in that matter, which was also why I decided to care more about her and her wish to go to this party with me, than about his opinion. Maybe this was exactly what I needed, to be a normal teenager. "But you can't go out wearing THAT", she pointed at the knitted sweater my grandma made and that I was wearing. I didn't think there was necessarily something wrong with my outfit, but maybe she was right. It wasn't very fitting for a party. "Get ready and meet me outside in thirty minutes. I promise it's gonna be worth it."