Part Two - Chapter 10 - Nova

It felt nice to catch up with Jack and make friends with Akiza. She really is an awesome person, and she's lucky to have Yusei.

When I get home the next day after my new daily drive, Duncan and Ally are waiting for me, but neither moves when they see me. It's creeping me out. Ally's always the one to give me a hug the second I get home.

"Guys, what's going on?" I ask cautiously. "Am I in trouble?"

Ally smiles. "Far from it, little sis."

"SURPRISE!" two people shout, jumping around the corner. My heart leaps with happiness when I see who they are.

"Oh, my God! Evan and Jonah! What are you guys doing here?" I gush, wrapping them in a hug.

"We came to surprise you! Duh," Evan says, sounding like his trademarked queeny self. Evan's always talked like an offensive version of a gay guy, and it's grown on me. And in case you're wondering, Evan is the most homosexual person I have ever met. And I love him to death anyway.

"Yeah! When you called me about a month ago, you sounded like you might need some support from us," Jonah says. I notice his nostrils quickly flare the way they do when he lies. Why is he really here? I can't just ask him that, though.

"Thank you, Jonah. So much. But I'm fine! Yusei is no longer my issue." I smile and put my hands on my hips. "I am a whole new girl, now."

Evan diva-snaps, sending Jonah and I into hysterics. "Yas, Queen," he says.

"I love you so much, E," I say through my laughter, wrapping him in a hug. I turn to Ally.

"It was their idea to surprise you," Ally says. "I recognized them instantly from all the pictures you've shown me."

"Thanks for not ruining the surprise, then," I say, turning back to the guys. "You guys want to go see my hometown?"

Jonah shrugs. "Sure. Maybe meet your friends?"

"That sounds good. One of them happens to want to meet you, Jonah," I reply. "Her name's Akiza."

"If this is you setting me up, you're dead, rockstar," Jonah grumbles, a smile on his face.

"No. I don't plan on dying today." I look over at Duncan. "Mind if I take the truck?"

Duncan tosses me his keys. "Be gentle with it."

"I always am." Another thought crosses my mind. "Guys, I need a sec to talk to Ally alone."

"Sure thing. We'll wait for you downstairs," Jonah says.

"Thanks." I give him a quick hug, and he and Evan leave the apartment. Once they're gone, I turn back to Ally. "Where's Mom? I didn't see her last night. Did you leave her back at the reactor site?"

"Oh, dear God, no," Ally replies. "She's in my room, sleeping. Why?"

"Just wondering." I glance at the front door. "Hey, why are Evan and Jonah really here?"

Ally stares down at her boots. "I wish I could tell you, but I can't."

"Why not?"

"Because I can't. Just...listen, okay?"

"Sure." Whatever the hell that means.

"Okay. Go. Your friends are waiting," Ally says, shooing me out of the apartment and closing the door behind me.

"Everything okay?" Jonah asks, his eyebrows knit.

"Fine," I lie. "Let's get out of here."

For the next four hours, we drive around New Domino and Satellite, talking about random things and window shopping. By the time we start to go back to the apartment, the sky is tie-dyed in orange, rose gold, and magenta. We were all starving by then, so we got cheeseburgers and had dinner in the park.