Chapter 6 - Nova

A/N (part 1): Y'all ever just say fuck it and do something early because you feel like it? This was supposed to be up in 2 days, but I'm posting it now just because. Chapter 7 will be up on the original release date of this one. See you at the end of the chapter!

I'll admit it, it does feel really shitty to have to leave Yusei hanging like that while we were talking about that night. But Allison is the closest link I have to any member of my family that could possibly still be alive.

Besides the fact that she's connected to potentially still living members of my family, she also is family. To be exact, she's my big sister.

The reason we weren't ever raised together was because of timing. When Mom and Dad disappeared and were presumed dead, Allison was old enough to take care of herself, but not me, so I went to Martha's. She took Mom's last name, I took Dad's last name. And we separated. She knew it was better if we were just two strangers that looked alike and not sisters, because growing up in Satellite at first, siblings were somebody's greatest weakness. So I went to Martha's and she kind of ran around, never staying in one place too long. When I was six, I met her for the first time that I remember. She promised she'd always help me, and she's made good on that promise. She helped me find scrap parts so I could build my duel runner, Blackwing. She gave me my first dueling deck. She makes sure I'm eating enough. She taught me how to drive a runner. She basically does everything.

"Where exactly are we going?" I ask her.

"Near the Pit!" she shouts over the wind and our engines.

"Like the old sinkhole you'd never come out of if you somehow found yourself in it? Unbelievable! The hell are we going to find?"

"Dad's research!"

What research? What did Dad know that we didn't? Who was he doing research for? Why did he pick the Pit of all places to hide it when there are a million other places he could've picked?

Ally and I arrive at the Pit, and I can't stop myself from looking down into the black maw I'm afraid I'll potentially fall to my death in. I do not want to be here. I do not want to be here. I do not want to be here. I fucking do not want to be here. Why did I let Ally drag my ass here?

"Look over there. There's stairs," Ally said, pointing to a set of old metal stairs.

"You aren't scared that those are going to break and we'll fall and die?" I snap.

"Do you want to find Dad's research or not?" I roll my eyes and detach my Duel Disk from my runner. Ally looks at me, confused. "Why're you bringing that?"

"You never know. I might need it," I reply. Ally and I approach the stairs. "A-after you."

Allison gulps and flicks on a flashlight. Where'd she get a flashlight? She squeezes my hand and I follow her down. On the bright side, we didn't fall and splatter on the ground below. On the negative side, neither of us have any clue where we are.

It looks like Ally and I are in a research lab of some kind, but it's either old, or it was attacked or something. There isn't one intact monitor or piece of glass. The control consoles look like someone stabbed them with a javelin. The walls are scorched in places and there's sheets of paper - I think that's the right word - littering the floor. Like the stuff that people used to use before e-readers and computers and holo-notebooks. Something big happened here. What was it?

"Do you think Dad worked in here?" Ally asks.

"I don't know," I reply, coughing from the stale air.

"Look at these," she says, leaning down to pick up some of the papers. "They're research findings."

"Dad's?" I gently take the sheaf of papers from her.