Chapter 13 - Yusei

I can still see good when I look at Nova. But, I can mostly see bad. And it breaks my heart. Looking at her used to make everything better. Now, it's ripping me in half. Me wanting the real Nova back is the only reason I agree to duel her.

"I'll start!" she says, a split second flicker or sorrow in her eyes. "For my first move, I'm activating the Field Spell, Lemuria, The Forgotten City!"

Here we go, I think to myself. Every Earthbound Immortal requires a Field Spell. Wakchilla is no different. But now, it has a weakness I can use. Thanks, Allison.

"Next, I'll summon a monster facedown in defense mode, and set two facedowns. Your move, Yusei," she says, finishing her turn.

Strange. Where's Mermaid Knight? She's always opened with that. "All right. Let's go," I say, drawing a card. "I'm summoning Shield Warrior in defense mode and setting two cards facedown. That ends my turn."

"Pathetic," she scoffs, drawing a card. "All right, first, I'll play the spell card, Graceful Charity, letting me draw three cards, as long as I discard two." She draws and immediately discards. "Then, I'm summoning Mermaid Knight in attack mode! That ends my turn."

Mermaid Knight's here. She could do anything with that card. I focus my gaze on her eyes as I draw my next card. The real Nova is still there. I just need to bring that girl out. "I'm activating one of my facedown cards, Reinforce Truth! This lets me special summon a monster with 1,000 or less attack points, so I'm summoning Speed Warrior! The only downside is that I can't conduct my battle phase this turn, but that's a small price to pay. Next, I'm summoning Junk Synchron, and I'll be tuning him with Speed Warrior and Shield Wing! Come forth, STARDUST DRAGON!" My ace appears on the field in all its glory, and Nova's gaze is fixed on the dragon.

"What's your sparkly dinosaur going to do?" she snaps, pulling her eyes from Stardust Dragon.

"He's going to bring back the real you, Nova," I reply, looking into her eyes. "I'm not giving up until the real Nova is back. And I'll use every card in my deck to prove it!"

"Well, not right now. It's my turn!" She draws a card. "I summon Scylla's Soldier in attack mode! But my private here won't be around for much longer, because he's tuning up Mermaid Knight! As the shadows are enveloped by even darker shadows, the curtain pulls back and reveals...A WORLD WITHOUT LIGHT! Come forth, Scylla The Sea Terror! By Lemuria's effect, Scylla's attack points are raised from 2,500 to 2,700, making her strong enough to beat your reptile! Scylla, attack! Destroy his Jurassic Park souvenir!"

"No, she won't," I interrupt. "Or do spell cards only apply to your monsters? Go, Half Shut! Scylla's points aren't looking too tough now, are they? Half Shut halves your monster's attack points, meaning Stardust is stronger!" (Nova LP: 4,000 >>2,850)

"Son of a bitch!" she shouts, clearly agitated. Then, her anger softens into a malevolent smile. "I doubt you haven't forgotten Scylla's ability? It shocked you last time."

Son of a bitch. I was so worried about Scylla, I didn't think about what would come after.

"I guess you have, then. Well, allow me to reacquaint you...WITH EARTHBOUND IMMORTAL WAKCHILLA!"

The Immortal appears again, powering up on souls before breaking out of its shell and standing behind Nova.

"Yusei, don't...let it...take me," a voice says in my mind. It sounds like Nova's. Not her evil Dark Signer voice. Her real voice. A blinding light encroaches my vision and I see Nova standing there, dressed in a black T-shirt, ripped jeans, black combat boots, and her beat-up leather jacket, not her Dark Signer clothes. Her eyes aren't normal though. They're red and puffy, like she'd been crying.