Chapter 2 - Yusei

It feels weird, all the attention I'm getting. Sure, beating Jack was one of the toughest things I've ever done, and it is kind of awesome to be recognized for that, but this could ruin my cool composure. My face is beamed over every screen in KaibaCorp stadium. I'm a little stressed out having all these people staring at me.

"When will this be over?" I whisper to myself. I don't know how long I'm standing there until the cheers from the audience die down. How does Jack do this?

The only other person I'm thinking of is Nova. She'd be so proud if she saw me in this position. But she's not because I had to go screw it up. She told me not to stay with Kalin, and I did, even though it meant losing her and a bit of myself.

No more Nova thoughts. I've spent enough time dwelling on her these past two years. I look around the stadium for a distraction, but apparently, I don't have to look far. Leo runs out and grabs my arm, with Yanagi and Tanner following close behind.

"Hey, guys. Everyone okay?" I ask.

"We're fine," Yanagi replies, a little breathless. "But you're about to face a brand new enemy: the media!"

I look up over at the swarm of people barricaded by metal bars. Some are holding cameras, some notebooks, some microphones. They're all clamoring for my attention, but I decide to follow Yanagi and run right as the gates go down and the paparazzi stampede towards me. It's actually a little terrifying, seeing how ruthless these people are. Oh, well. Nice knowing you, privacy.

Something's bugging me about my and Jack's duel: the weird mark that appeared on my arm. I pull off my glove and push back my sleeve and there's a weird crimson mark seared into my flesh. Okay. That's new. It disappeared last time I dueled Jack. Why didn't it disappear again?

I want to go home. Back to Satellite. Maybe there, I can figure everything out. I also know that there is no way Godwin's letting me go back. Now that I'm a champion, I'm trapped under his thumb.

-one week later-

Godwin's brought me to an incomplete bridge. Looking across the vast ocean, my eyes land on Satellite. Home. I want to be there right now, and nowhere else. Make sure Rally and the rest of the gang is safe. Go back to being just another guy from the Satellite sector. But God works in annoying ways.

"Is this bridge supposed to connect Satellite to the city?" I ask, almost out of nowhere.

"Yes," Godwin replies. "That was its purpose."

"Why not complete it?"

"Because Satellite is a battlefield, Yusei," Godwin says. Man, his voice is creepy.

"Then evacuate Satellite!"

"I can't." He must sense that I'm about to yell at him. "When the Dark Signers return, they will feed off the misery of those in Satellite. By moving them to the city, it places even more people at risk. Do you want that?"

"No." Okay, so he has a valid point. I'm about to interrogate him again when a helicopter comes into view, the loading door open, exposing my runner.

"Go, Yusei," Godwin tells me. "Check on your friends."

I nod and jump into the helicopter. The fifteen minutes or so of silence as the copter flies to Satellite is unnerving, especially after all the talking about Signers and Dark Signers Godwin did. But the other thing that's unnerving is going home. I know I'll get a warm welcome from the guys, but what about everyone else? And what if I happen to run into Nova?