Chapter 4 - Nova

God, he's gorgeous.

His face as he's listening to me talk is bright and...happy. Even though I keep my eyes down at my feet hanging over the water, I can see his reflection: he's looking at me like I'm the greatest thing in the universe. There's an adorable twinkle in his cobalt blue eyes I remember being there when we were little. I don't know why, but it feels as if that sparkle left when we joined the Enforcers. Though it's hard to admit to myself, I missed it. It's also strangely unfamiliar to me.

The full moon above us is brighter than I've ever seen it after the sun sets. We keep talking for Lord knows how long until he suggests we head back.

"Hey, do you, um, do you want to crash here?" I ask tentatively when we arrive at my hideout. "Your friends are probably asleep, and you don't want to wake them up."

"Sure. Why not?" he replies, after thinking it over.

"Cool. You can take the bed," I say. "I'm sorry, I mean shitty mattress."

"No, you can sleep in your own bed," he insists. "I'll be fine on the floor."

"You sure?" Oh, fuck. I sound worried.

"Yeah. I'm sure." He gives me a half-smile. God, the little bastard is charming, especially when he smiles. "I spent a couple weeks in the Facility. They don't exactly leave mints on the pillows every night."

"Right. That whole shit show of moving to the city." I take off my jacket and turn around to change into a softer shirt. At least I'm wearing a nice-ish bra, but Yusei's looking the other way, so I sort of thank God he doesn't see it. "Was that really just about getting Stardust Dragon back from Jack?"

"Crazy as it sounds."

"That's jacked up." He gives me a faint chuckle at my crappy pun.

Wow. Yusei really has changed. The Yusei I know would be laughing his ass off at that joke. He's not who he was when we were growing up. When we were little, he was always smiling and he loved having fun. Now, he's so serious all the time. Can it be that I miss the old Yusei? What-no, Nova! He's just a good-for-nothing jackass who can't think with his brains! You'd never go out with him! Or would I...no. Stop it! Good-for-nothing bastard! Very cute good-for-nothing bastard...

"Here." I toss him a blanket. "Part of me doesn't want you freezing to death."

"Wow. Your conscience never won last time I saw you," he replies, catching the blanket.

"Yeah, well, last time I saw you, I hoped to God I'd never see you again. Guess hope does breed eternal misery."

"Please. You're not miserable around me."

"Can you shut up on your own or does my fist have to help?" I crack my knuckles, hopefully to show him that I'm not kidding and I might actually punch him.

"Still have your killer right hook, I assume."

"I've given out more than a few black eyes and bloody noses since I last saw you."

"Right. I miss seeing tough women. There aren't many in the city, and the Facility wasn't co-ed."

"That a compliment?" It's been so long since I've heard him compliment me, but he was never clear about it, even when we were kids.

"Yeah. And I meant it." He comes over to me and wraps me in a hug.

Holy shit. I forgot what him giving me a hug felt like entirely. His embrace is strong and tough, yet warm and inviting at the same time. His onyx hair is tickling my neck, and his fresh pine scent is overwhelming me. I hug him back after a second and lightly press my lips to his cheek. Shit, shit, shit, shit, SHIT! If he notices, I will have no other option than to die of embarrassment. Thank God he doesn't notice. Or, at least, he doesn't acknowledge it. "Good night, Yusei," I whisper in his ear. He released me and looks into my eyes. The way he's looking at me...it's like there's nothing more beautiful in the expanse of the universe. And he's smiling. I swear to Christ, he's actually smiling. And then he leans forward and brushes his lips against my forehead. "Sweet dreams, Nova," he whispers. He used to say that to me every night growing up. Somehow, it feels right. But I can't shake the feeling that he and I shouldn't happen.