Chapter 14 - Nova

One month later

When I wake up, I'm at the old carnival in the Satellite that everyone says is haunted. There's these weird lines on the ground that look like animals. I wonder what happened here?

But how did I get here? And why is my Duel Disk on my arm?

The last thing I remember was searching that control center place with Ally. How'd I get all the way over here?

I find my runner parked near the building I woke up in, and she still looks good as new, except for the tires. What was I doing that made my tires go almost completely bald like this so fast?

I hope I can find Yusei. Maybe he can explain what happened to me.

I start looking for him at Martha's, but with no luck, except for the Sector Security chopper on her front lawn. Where'd that come from?

And where the hell is Yusei? Last time I remember seeing him, he was sitting in a hospital bed with bandages wrapped around his ridiculously sexy abs, and his duel runner looked like shit. Where is he now?

I hop back on my bike and rush to the pier where he and I were hanging out the night he came back to Satellite. Not only is Yusei there, but so are Jack and Crow.

Dammit. What do I say? I haven't seen Jack in years, so "what's up, motherfucker" seems impersonal.

So, I settle with, "Hey, boys."

Crow turns around first and smiles like a little kid in a candy store. "Nova!" he almost shouts. "You're back! Yusei told me about what happened to you. I almost didn't believe it until I saw for myself."

"Yeah, I don't know what in the hell you're talking about," I reply, bro hugging him. I turn to Jack. "I hear you were something of a champion, Jack."

"Something? Was? I AM a champion!" he shouts. "Where have you been all these years?" He gives me a fist bump.

And then there was one. Yusei. Shit. What am I supposed to say to him? "Hey, what's up, sorry I tried to kill you, even though I have no recollection of the event" just doesn't sound right.

Apparently, he doesn't have words either. He just wraps me in a hug, and I don't hesitate to return it. "I'm so sorry," he whispers.

"Are you okay? Why are you apologizing? I'm the one who tried to kill you," I retort.

"But I'm the one who sent you to the Netherworld," he says. "I should've tried harder, I shouldn't have let you go, I—"

I shut him up by gently pressing my lips to his, kissing him slowly. He relaxes into the kiss, pulling me closer to his chest and kissing me harder. I break the kiss, and we stand there in silence, our foreheads touching.

"I thought that would be more effective than 'Yusei, shut the hell up,'" I whisper.

"Well, it worked."

"So, stop apologizing for things that aren't your fault, okay?"

"What the hell was that?" Crow asks, clearly weirded out.

"It's none of your goddamn business, Crow," I reply, annoyed.

He smirks at me, and I want to punch him. "You finally grew a pair, Nova. I thought I'd never live to see the day."

"You wanna live to see tomorrow? Shut the hell up."

"Wait, what does he mean?" Yusei asks, sounding confused.

"He's Crow. When do we ever know what he means?"

"Fair enough. He's also always been the slow one."