They fought for him

A/N: Another copy paste 😢. But I hope you guys realise it was necessary

Sun has risen again, dimwit.

Rohit stared at his phone through narrowed eyes.

What were Jinks and Virat playing at now, he wondered suspiciously, trying to ignore his sinking heart at the thought of Virat and Jinks together without him during the Test series again.

And then he got the notification from BCCI.

The joy of being in the Test team after so long lingered with Rohit all evening, and then MSK Prasad called him.

"Look, Mr. Sharma," he said, wasting no words. "I thought it is my duty to inform you that you were not in our plans for the Border Gavaskar trophy initially."

Rohit listened in silence, wondering what was coming.

"But your captain and vice captain fought tooth and nail for your inclusion..."

Rohit's eyes widened.

"And I hope you will justify their faith."

"Yes, sir," said Rohit meekly, his head in a whirl over the selector's words.

After cutting the call, he rushed to find his wife.

"Ritika! Do you know what Prasad just told me!" And Rohit told Ritika everything.

Ritika only smiled at the story, and it irked Rohit when she didn't say anything.

"Won't you say anything after such a strange thing happened?" he demanded.

"I find it strange that you're making such a big deal out of this," said Ritika.

Rohit stared at her.

"They're your best friends--of course they'll do things like this."

"Should I thank them?" asked Rohit, feeling a little overwhelmed.

"No, Ro," said Ritika patiently. "Don't let them know that you know this at all. But make sure you don't let them down."

"I won't," said Rohit fervently.

__________

India vs Australia, 1st Test, 2018, 1st inning

He stared at his bat in disbelief.

He couldn't have played this shot in a Test match--and right after getting a reprieve in the same way just the last ball.

He knew he had been properly set. He and Puji could've fished India out of trouble. Instead, he had done this.

Rohit walked off with his head right down. Well, he always walked off with his head right down--but never had he felt so ashamed of himself before.

He reached the dugout, looking so miserable that Virat said comfortingly, "You played really well before that last shot, Rohit--better than all of us."

Rohit forced a smile at Virat. Then he noticed Jinks about to say something.

He could not bear to take sympathy from the people who had fought tooth and nail to make him play. In fact, he couldn't even stay in the same room with the two people he had just let down this badly.

Before Jinks could say anything, Rohit had shot to his feet and disappeared into the dressing room, his eyes smarting.

"He's predictably a bit upset," said Jadeja in a low voice so that only Ash, who was putting on his pad, could hear.