Like a guardian

In the Border Gavaskar trophy in Australia in 2012, the Australian crowd got more and more aggressive as the series progressed. They particularly targetted Virat, because he was young, talented and hot tempered.

One of those days, Virat was fielding near the boundary and the crowd was hurling abuses to him. Virat had been warned by Mahi bhai to ignore it all, so he fumed in silence, trying to control himself. Then, however, a certain group started shouting offensive words to his mother and sister, who were also sitting in the stands.

Virat lost his temper competely, and he turned and flashed his middle finger at the crowd.

Behind the stumps, Mahi bhai slapped his forehead in despair. He should've known this was coming.

By next morning, the entire country knew.

__________

Rohit was horrified when he saw the news in the morning. Every retired player, Indian or foreigner, was lashing out at Virat. Social media was unitedly condemning Virat's act.

Virat was so stupid, Rohit thought in despair. Why couldn't he get a control on that temper of his? It was going to get him into so much trouble one day!

Wait, hadn't that already happened?

Was he going to be banned?! The thought struck Rohit suddenly and filled him with dread.

He called Virat at once. "Are they going to ban you?" he asked anxiously without preamble.

"No, just a fine," drawled Virat, sounding like he was grinning as he spoke.

Rohit felt relief flooding through him, which was swiftly replaced with annoyance.

"Why can't you learn to control yourself, Virat?" he asked severely.

"I have learnt it, I controlled myself for so long--" began Virat protestingly.

"Shut up," said Rohit shortly. "What you did in front of everybody speaks for your self control."

"They were abusing my mother and sister!"

"So what? Some random strangers behave like uncivilized people, and you need to act uncivilized yourself, do you?"

A chastened Virat kept quiet.

"Convert your aggression into your game, Virat. Not your behaviour," said Rohit in a very elder brotherly tone.

Virat knew perfectly well that Rohit was right, but still he tried saying pleadingly, "Everyone has been scolding me since yesterday, Ro, at least you could..."

"Take your side? Congratulate you? Tell you that you did the right thing?" demanded Rohit.

"Ok, ok, I get it, you can't do that," conceded Virat.

"You need to grow up, Virat," said Rohit wryly.

"I said I get the point! Are you done?" said Virat ungraciously.

"Yes, I'm done," retorted Rohit.

"No, no, sorry! You're allowed to scold me when I do something wrong!" said Virat hastily.

Rohit rolled his eyes. "So glad you realise that."

__________

Rohit was traveling with his Ranji Trophy team during that time, and that day, at the practice session, he heard a group of his team discussing Virat Kohli's gesture in a condemning tone.

"He thinks his batting makes him invincible, doesn't he," said one of them.

"Arrogance is going to bring about his downfall soon!" said someone else.

Rohit's face flushed with anger as he stormed up to them.

"He dared to stand up for his family in front of a hostile crowd, which I doubt any of you cowards could ever do," he said coldly.

The group fell silent in shock at Rohit's uncharacteristic tone.

"As for his batting, he's better than all of us put together, and you think your pathetic gossip is going to bring about his downfall? Keep dreaming!" said Rohit in a supremely condescending manner, and he walked away coolly.

He was allowed to scold Virat all he wanted.

But they were not.