The advent of 2013 and the big change

Champions Trophy 2013 marked the beginning of a new (and glorious) era of Indian cricket.

Both Rohit and Virat felt a distinct change in their life with the Indian cricket team from that summer. Earlier, the two of them had remained largely within themselves, as most of the players in the team had been seniors.

From June 2013, everything changed.

Rohit got a close friend in his new opening partner Shikhar, nicknamed Gabbar, with his bald head and world class moustache and cheerful humour.

In Jaddu, his under-19 vice captain, with his wicked sense of humour and unfailing cheer, Virat found someone who equalled and surpassed him in ingenuity and pranks, and Virat-Jaddu became the most powerful pair in the team.

The new reed-thin pacer, called 'Bhuvi' by all, only 22 years of age, with his childish innocence and adorable nature, evoked hopeless affection from everyone in the team, and they discovered that Virat's temper extended to everyone in the world minus Bhuvi.

Ashwin, who had always been such an inert part of the team earlier, became the lead bowler of an inexperienced attack and that brought out his leadership, of course, but also a mix of a sensible and fun loving nature, and suddenly he was an active part of the team.

A few months later, Ajinkya Rahane, nicknamed 'Jinks' by Virat, also came into the team, and in a definite proof of opposites attract, the aggressive, confident Virat swiftly became close with the shy, quiet Jinks.

It was the same with Rohit and Jinks, too, because by the end of 2013, they were firm friends as well.

It was no longer Rohit-Virat to the two of them; it was a much larger group, a team...a family.

Neither of them minded this change, because it made everything so much better. And no matter how many new friends they made, Virat and Rohit always remained a little closer to each other.

____________

Opening changed Rohit .

Starting with Champions Trophy 2013, his performances improved so much and so fast that it was hard to believe that the 2012-Rohit and this was the same person.

Starting with winning the Champions Trophy, India embarked on a nearly unbeaten streak in 2013.

Australia toured India in October-November.

In the 2nd ODI, India's target was a seemingly impossible 360. However, India started off the chase in the best possible manner, with Shikhar and Rohit putting up a century stand. Shikhar was dismissed on 95, and Virat came.

What followed was one of the most dominating performances ever by an Indian batting pair.

Rohit scored 141* off 123, and Virat 100* off 52, and they chased down the huge total in just 44 overs.

As Rohit hit the winning four, they ran towards each other and simultaneously jumped and high-fived, competely overjoyed.

"You're my favourite batting partner ever," Virat told Rohit as they hugged each other hard and their team came to hug them, too

"I know," said Rohit, winking at him.

____________

Two weeks later, on 2nd November 2013, the decider of the series took place in Bangalore.

After Shikhar and Rohit's yet another 100+ stand, the former got out and Virat came down.

Before Virat had scored a single run, on his second ball, he hit a straightish shot and started charging down the pitch fast. Caught in a yes-or-no situation, Rohit started to run, too, but then dashed back, and Virat, realising too late, turned and ran back, but he was run out by a mile.

Again.

Virat had been in imperious form in the series and Rohit was thoroughly dismayed at the turn of events. In the heat of the moment, Virat shook his head in disgust as he crossed Rohit and snarled, "You're a complete nightmare while running between the wickets!"

Rohit couldn't even resent Virat's tone. "I'm sorry," he muttered.

By the end of the day, however, neither Rohit, nor Virat, nor a single person in India was sorry. Rohit had scored 209, only the third double hundred in the history of ODI cricket, and India won the series 3-2.

In the after-match party, which went on long into the night, even Mahi bhai not protesting, Rohit still looked dazed and disbelieving.

As Rohit cut the cake provided by the Chinnaswamy management, a thoroughly over excited Virat yelled in Rohit's ear, "I forgive you!"

Rohit grinned. "Thank God for that."

"I told you your career is going to change, Ro," whispered Virat dramatically. "The whole world fears you now. I wouldn't want to play against you."

Rohit was highly gratified and they both looked at Mahi bhai who was grinning at them across the table.

"All thanks to Mahi bhai," Virat said.

"And you, too," said Rohit genuinely, clapping his friend on the back.

A/N: I just had to add this chapter, though it's almost theoretical, because the 2013 Champions Trophy team means the world to me.
Also, that jumping high five of my favourite duo is one of the best memories of my life.
If you remember that moment on 16th October 2013, your childhood was awesome 😜