The banner

It was the drinks break during India's batting in the 2nd T20 vs WI in Florida, 2019, on friendship day.

Virat had glimpsed a touching sight on the giant screen--an Indian flashing a banner saying 'Happy Friendship Day' with his and Rohit's photos underneath. Amidst all the rift rumours created by the media (which annoyed him and Rohit more than they'd care to admit), there were people who still knew him and Rohit.

 Amidst all the rift rumours created by the media (which annoyed him and Rohit more than they'd care to admit), there were people who still knew him and Rohit

Rohit was drinking water, holding the bottle with both his hands. Virat stared at him, realising that this was another of his best friend's habits.

Best friend.

The two words brought back a thousand memories, memories spread over more than a decade now-- his and Rohit's.

Studying his best friend, Virat smiled. As both of Rohit's hands were engaged, he punched Rohit lightly on the stomach instead of a fist bump before turning to return to his crease.

Rohit turned to him hastily and tried to punch him too, which landed on Virat's waist.

"Go on as you're doing," Virat called after him; Rohit had been playing awfully well that day.

"You, too," he heard Rohit say.

Virat reached the crease and closed his eyes for a moment.

It all began in 2008...or 2007, rather.

A/N: I'm back with Rohirat because I just can't get over them. And what with Jaddu and Rohit mimicking Virat's mannerisms mockingly, and that punching on the stomach thing (which I saw on TV, not my imagination), now I'm sure there's NO RIFT. I was awfully scared that their might really be a rift, but thank goodness!!

I didn't watch cricket in 2007-2010, so I searched for all the series they played together then, in the beginning of their careers, and I created a stream of memories.

How did they become best friends?