The first of many

In the series exactly after the World Cup, India vs WI, most of the seniors were rested, and Rohit was back in the squad.

In the 5th ODI on 16th June, 2011, Virat was in fine flow and Rohit was assisting him well, and their partnership had reached 109.

Virat hit the ball towards the boundary and Rohit called for 2 at once. The fielder was quicker than Rohit had expected, and unfortuantely the throw was on Virat's end, who didn't make it to the crease.

A set Virat was out on 94, which was a huge blow to India.

Virat lost his temper badly on the field, and he turned and shouted to Rohit, "Are you dumb?"

Rohit was already upset at having made a wrong call, of course, but Virat's rude tone annoyed him, and he didn't apologize.

India went on to lose the match, but they won the series, and Rohit got Man of the Series.

Everyone in the team was congratulating him and all, but Rohit noticed grimly that Virat was simply ignoring him.

On the way to the bus, Rohit stormed up to Virat and demanded, "How was I to anticipate that he would throw that quickly?"

"Please, spare me!" said Virat, using that ultra nasty tone he did when he lost his temper. "He wasn't even that quick, I saw the replay!"

"Well, I thought it was going to be an easy two. If you have a problem with my call just because it didn't work once, why don't you call every time henceforth?" said Rohit in a sickly sweet tone.

"Thanks a lot for giving me the permission," said Virat, his eyes flashing.

"Yeah, well, you're welcome," retorted Rohit.

Rohit entered the bus and sat down in the very last row, and Virat followed him and sat down beside him without a word.

"What?" demanded Rohit, his eyes narrowed with suspicion.

"You have a problem with me sitting here?" challenged Virat.

Rohit crossed his arms and turned to look out of the window, fuming silently.

They sat through the bus journey without speaking a word, but through that hour, sitting beside each other changed the silence from an angry to a comfortable one.

While alighting from the bus, Rohit and Virat, without looking at each other, coincidentally spoke at the exact same time, in the same off handed tone.

"I love batting with you," said Virat, as Rohit said, "I'm really sorry you didn't get your 100."

They caught each other's eyes, amused at the telepathy, and within moments, they were laughing again, just like that.

Later that night, Rohit let Virat know via a text message, "I love batting with you too."