Heartbeat Part 40

Chapter 40

Zain's P.O.V

I was so angry at myself. I got off my bike and got into the house. "where have you been?" asked Maureen, "I was worried sick" she continued. I got up and got a beer from the fridge. "Aya, what is wrong that you are drinking so early in the morning" She looked at me. "I just, I'm cursed, I will never be happy, will I?" I asked her. "You are responsible for your own happiness, if you think you will not be happy, then yes, you will never be happy. El amor es como el agua que no se seca." She said and stood up. "I have to go an see Ruby, you will be okay?" She asked. "Yea, I'll be fine" I replied.

I drank about 3 beers when the doorbell rang. On opening the door I found Rayaan standing there, looking at me with a weird expression. "What have I done now?" I asked closing the door behind him as he walked into the dining room. "I spoke to Tasha" He said as he sat down. The mention of her name had my heart racing, my sweet, sweet Tasha. Delicate and soft.

"How is she? Did she say anything?" I asked. "No, she didn't, she didn't say a word about you or what had happened, I don't think she has told anyone" He replied. "So get ready and lets go" he said. "Go? Go where?" I asked picking up another beer.

"Look you might be more good-looking, great with the ladies, be able to kick my butt and have more money than me, but I'm still your friend and I don't want you losing and jeopardising everything." He rambled. "Get your ass upstairs, get ready and we are going to uni" He said standing up.

We got to uni and went straight to out lecture. We had just made it on time. "Mr Malik" Dr Coleman called over for me before I sat in my seat. "Yes sir" I called back and walked over to him. "I have changed your lab partner, not only for my sessions but for the rest of your lectures and labs for the rest of the year" He said. I was shocked and sad. "But why, I've been working well with..." I protested quietly. "On Miss Abrahams request, I cannot force her to work with you, this is a university not a school." He said and walked off. She didn't want to work with me. She didn't even want to be around me. I was angry and sad and this was my only chance to make things right. But she was distancing herself from me. I started to get angry at her. I looked around until my eyes met with hers. Her brown eyes piercing through to my soul, my expressions softened but I still gave her a glare. How dare she? I stormed out. I needed some fresh air and maybe a fag (cigarette). Fine, if this was what she wanted this is what she will have. I won't run after her, I wont try and talk to her. I'll leave he be. But I don't want to leave her be. I want to be near her, to talk to her, touch her. "Argh, shut up brain or heart whoever it speaking. " I scolded myself and pulled out a cigarette. "Hey there handsome you alright" I looked around to see a redhead. I need to distract myself.

As lunchtime approached I got hungry. "Baby I'm so hungry" Melissa or Melinda whatever her name was called out to me. Honestly she was so annoying and clingy. Tasha was perfect. No I need to stop thinking about her I thought to myself. "Lets go for lunch" I said and we walked into the lunch hall.

We got something to eat and sat down. My eyes fell on Tasha, she was sitting on the table in front of me with Amber and Rayaan. She was lost in thought. Was she thinking about me? I asked myself. Amber and Rayaan were chatting away but she just sat there silently. "So you wanna come to mine later" Melinda said batting her eyes towards me. "Hey, Zain, come sit with us" Amber called and motioned for us to come over. "He is busy Amber" Rayaan said back. I looked at Tasha. But they are also my friends too. "Are they you friends?" Melissa asked. Honestly I don't even know what her name is. "Yea they are my friends." I said looking at Tasha. We joined them. I sat on the chair next to Tasha. This is the closest I had been to her since that day. I could smell her perfume. She smelt the same. Like a mixture of roses and vanilla, like her bedding. Images came flashing back to me. Me kissing her on her bed. It was getting really hard for me. I couldn't even concentrate on my own food. "This is Melissa" I said looking towards Amber. "My name is Miranda" She said back annoyed. Tasha stood up "I'm meeting Alex at the library, I'll catch you all later" She said and walked off. Who was Alex? "Alex is her Lab Partner" Rayaan said looking at me. 

The next few days were agony for me

The next few days were agony for me. Tasha always hanging around Alex and I didn't even see her. What was this Alex like? He probably already likes her. Tasha is amazing, anybody could love her. But why am I thinking about it? She doesn't want to talk to me or be near me. I needed to call Rayaan to figure something out. "Hey Bud, erm I wanted to do something all of us, you, me Amber Imaani and Tasha if she likes" I said to him without pause. "Yea sure, but Tasha is going on a two day weekend break with Alex in the evening and will be back on Sunday so if will have to be then" He said. For two days she was going to be with him. She had only known him for a week. He better keep his hand off what's mine or I swear I will kill him. "Where have they gone?" I asked quickly. "Er they have gone to .. oh hang on my brothers calling, I'll you back" He said and hung up.

"Alex is so good with Tasha, these past few days she has had so much fun. Breathe of fresh air" Amber said. I walked out the room. Honestly why is everybody so obsessed with him. "Alex was at the house yesterday we watched movies and a lot of fun Tasha and Alex seemed to sleep late" Amber went on. I couldn't hear anymore. How dare he go into her room and they slept in the same room. I need to talk to her. My blood was boiling. It had only been 16 days since the whole Mike incident and she had already moved on. Did I mean so little to her? I was her first kiss.

"Hijo why are you always so angry these days" Maureen asked over dinner. "I'm not" I replied. "Ruby was asking after you, she wanted to know if you'd come and see her with me today" She asked whilst washing up, "Sure" I replied.

"What's up Romeo" Ruby said looking at me from her wheelchair. "What the hell did they do to her hair!" I looked back at Maureen surprised. "It was for the treatment" She said and kissed ruby on the head. "I'll go and speak to the Doctor" she said and walked off.

"How's Tasha, you said you were going to bring her to see me?" She asked and pouted. "She won't come because I ruined it Rubz" I said looking at her with a sad expression. I told her everything. "But you love her" She said. "Get her back". I wish it was that easy. "Since when has that stopped you before, and I'm sure this Alex is nothing compared to you, steal her back. I'm sure she loves you too" Ruby said winking at me. She was right. Tasha was mine, why was I giving up on her? "You know what, you're right kiddo, thanks" I said and ran out the hospital. But first I need to eat something.

It was decided. I was going to climb through her window at 9.30 tonight, yea I know its not exactly impressive but that's all I had. I'm going to claim what's mine, make a stand, hitch my flag whatever it was called that's what I am going to do. I almost finished off my third burger before the bell rang. I haven't eaten properly in like forever. It was Mo. "Dude, I'm busy, what do you want" I asked blocking his way in. "Busy doing what?" He asked. "Plotting how I'm going to kidnap Tasha!" I said and closed the door on his face.