16. Gryffindor V Hufflepuff

Y/N's POV

As the match drew nearer, I became more and more nervous. The rest of the team wasn't too calm either. The idea of overtaking Slytherin in the house championship sounded amazing, no one had done it for seven years, but would we be allowed to, with such a biased referee?

I knew, when they wished me good luck outside the locker rooms the next afternoon, that Ron, Harry and Hermione were wondering whether they would ever see me alive again. You couldn't really blame me for being pessimistic since last match I nearly got jinxed off my broom. I hardly heard a word of Wood's pep talk as I adjusted my Quidditch robes and picked up my Nimbus Two Thousand.

Wood pulled me aside and spoke to me.

"Don't want to pressure you, L/N, but if we ever need an early capture of the Snitch it's now. Finish the game before Snape can favour Hufflepuff too much."

"The whole school's out there!" said Issac, peering out of the door. "Even Dumbledore's come to watch!"

"What's good ol' Dumbledore doing at a Quidditch match?" Fred asked.

"Dumbledore?" I said, dashing to the door to make sure. Issac was right. There was no mistaking that silver beard.

At that time I could have laughed out loud with relief since I knew that I was safe. There was simply no way that Snape would dare to try to hurt me if Dumbledore was watching.

Perhaps that was why Snape was looking so angry as the teams marched onto the field. Since Dumbledore was here he probably missed his golden opportunity to knock me off my broom.

I sighed and started getting ready for the match.

Hermione's POV

"I've never seen Snape look so mean," Ron told me, "look, they're off. Ouch!"

Someone had poked Ron in the back of the head. It was Malfoy.

"Oh, sorry, Weasley, didn't see you there." Malfoy grinned at Crabbe and Goyle.

"Wonder how long L/N's going to stay on his broom this time? Does anyone want a bet? What about you, Weasley?"

Ron didn't answer, instead, Harry did. "Longer than you ever could."

Snape had just then awarded Hufflepuff a penalty because George Weasley had hit a Bludger at him. I sat, fingers crossed, watching Y/N carefully, who was circling the game like a hawk, looking for the Snitch.

All through the game, I could hear Malfoy make little comments either about Gryffindor or Y/N, I really wanted to tell him to shut up but I was too busy watching Y/N.

"Ron, Hermione!" said Harry suddenly, "Y/N!"

"What? Where?" Ron said looking around frantically.

Y/N had suddenly gone into a spectacular dive, which drew gasps and cheers from the crowd. I stood up, cheering loudly, as he streaked toward the ground like a bullet.

"Come on, Y/N!" I screamed, leaping onto my seat to watch as he sped straight at Snape.

I could see that in the where Snape was, something scarlet shot past him, missing him by inches. The next second, Y/N had pulled out of the dive, his arm raised in triumph, the Snitch clasped in his hand.

The stands erupted, it had to be a record, no one could ever remember the Snitch being caught so quickly. I just cheered as loud as I could.

"Ron! Ron! Where are you? The game's over! Y/N's won! We've won! Gryffindor is in the lead!" I shrieked, dancing up and down on my seat and hugging Parvati Patil in the row in front.

Y/N's POV

I jumped off my broom, a foot from the ground. I couldn't believe it. I had done it, the game was over. It had barely lasted five minutes. As Gryffindors came spilling onto the field, I saw Snape land nearby, white-faced.

Then I felt a hand on my shoulder and looked up into Dumbledore's smiling face.

"Well done," said Dumbledore quietly, so that only I could hear, "you would give your father and Harry's a run for their money."

Later, I left the locker room, to take my Nimbus Two Thousand back to the broom shed. I couldn't ever remember feeling happier. The evening air had never smelled so sweet. I walked over the damp grass, reliving the last hour in my head, which was a happy blur. Gryffindors running to lift me onto their shoulders and Ron, Harry and Hermione in the distance, jumping up and down.

I wouldn't forget this day for a long time.