Chapter 12

I looked to the stairs to see Eric, Ace, and someone I had never seen before. They stood on the marble platform the stairs met at.

"I'm not Angelica!" I yelled.

"Your birth certificate says otherwise." Ace retaliated.

"Where the hell am I?" I yelled once more.

"My place. So try not to break anything. I know all about your anger issues." Eric spoke. He descended the staircase and made his way to me. I backed up with ever step he took towards me until I hit the pure gold door behind me.

Eric loomed over me, brushing my flyaways down.

"Derek is toxic. Let me protect you." His rhythmic whispers danced circles around my ears. I was melting too soon.

"I can't trust you without any proof." I whispered back.

"He killed your brother," is all Eric said before walking back up the stairs to meet with Ace and the stranger.

"What do you mean?" I questioned Eric as soon as he got to the others.

"Come up here for more details. You can trust me, I promise." I internally sighed to his words and ran up the stairs to meet with him.

We entered a room similar to the main entrance. The floor was marble and the door was pure gold but it had an office desk with chairs and un-dusted book shelves.

"Duchess, Malachi, you may leave." Eric said taking a seat behind the desk. His back facing a large oval window, very church like. I however, sat in front of it.

"What did Derek do to my brother exactly?" I sniffed.

"He told me he slit your brothers throat and drank his blood, then left a note pretending that he killed himself." There was a long moment of silence.

"How could he do that?" I whimpered.

"I-." I couldn't bring myself to finish the sentence.

"Come here." Eric told me. I did as told. He stood to hug me and I cried into his shirt.

"Listen. I'll protect you from now and on, only if you let me. You have to trust me." I nodded in his chest.

"I'll make sure you're okay."