໒ཏศ♇₮ཛཞ 2 ~ Math is Simply Not Important Enough

Start from the beginning

I place my trust in the wrong people, don't I?

"He skips almost every class at least once a week, turns in every third assignment, and he's constantly rude to everyone," he tapped his head twice with two fingers to add dramatic affect, "just in his head though." I narrowed my eyes at him, feeling the draft my classmates heads were making as they swiveled from Sam to Mrs. M to me. 'Drama~!' I could practically feel on everyone's minds and in the glistening in their eyes. Drama indeed.

"When he is in class, if its not a review day, he doodles." Sam turned his attention to Mrs. Mangeone, "at least I'm here every day right?"

Wait wait wait, how the crap does he know all that?

Mrs. Mangeone gave hima huff, playing ever cool. "You certainly are here everyday, seeing as how I know you'd be absent." Sam only laughed, shaking his head. How is it that she went from insulting to accepting in two seconds flat? LIke, she was literally metaphorically burning with rage and embarrassment just a second ago... literally metaphorically? I give up. The teacher gave up, walking back to her desk. This is the conclusion of maybe the most drama filled, weirdest thing that has ever happened in mostly everyone's entire lives and it had such a melodramatic end. What's the word I'm looking for? Anticlimactic, that's it.

Sam turned to me, his eyebrows raised in a shrug. 'Oh well, not my fault if she doesn't believe me,' it seemed to say. I sank in my chair. I could feel the eyes of Mrs. Mangeone on me from her seat behind the computer. She was remembering back, trying to piece together if what Sam said was true or not. Now I'll have to show up every time and turn in assignments. I gave him the expression of 'if only she didn't believe you.'

"So much for review day," Amber leaned over to say. She sat behind me in our classes together. At first it was because of alphabetical order, now it was because we were never moved. I would consider her a friend, we had similar personalities as far as I could tell. We didn't talk much but when we did it was usually meaningful. She wasn't loud, she wasn't the center of attention, and she wasn't anything like Sam, but she knows what Sam said was true. I guess that's why she chose to make a more pointless of a conversation, she wonders the same thing I do. Why does Mr. Popular know so much about me?

"Yeah, no kidding. I really needed this too," she gave me a knowing smile. I turned sideways in my seat, letting a smile tug at my own lips. Dang, it's hard not to smile at pretty girls. Amber was a girl with straight brown hair and baby big eyes of pure gold. Well, almost gold, they were hazel, but they were pretty.

She tugged her notebook from her backpack, "would you like to use my notes?" I hesitated slightly, I didn't want her to think that I was only saying that to guilt her into handing hers over of something. "Don't worry, I take careful notes, I don't have the best memory, especially with math." She gave me a wan smile and I couldn't help but grin back.

"Oh, no, I wasn't worried about that. I'm sure you're pretty smart." I felt my smile slip, I am so awkward. I inwardly side, I need to move on. "Yeah," I held my hand out, ready to accept her kindness, "That'd be great."

A notebook slapped down into my hand, Amber's own clearly still in her hand. Sam bent down, "don't worry about it. he's already got my notes to use." He sneered I think. I don't really know what sneering looks like as I tend to stay far away from people that I think might sneer, but I think that was it. He turned to my shocked expression and elbowed me softly, his mouth curved into a smile while his eyes said otherwise. A shiver crept up my spine as he sat on my desk, his hand on my shoulder. I was acutely aware of Amber's eyes on me not Sam.

Amber smiled, resting her head in her hands her elbows propped up on the desk. Her eyes closed as a strand of her hair fell from behind her ear and in front of her eye. Sam reached over and tucked it away, she didn't flinch or even acknowledge him. Instead it was like a thousand volts of electricity charged the air around them. A fight almost between minds and I did not want to be sitting in the middle of it. Scary.

"Why Adam, you should have told me you already had it covered," she my arm playfully, "you silly."

... Silly?

"Awe, take it easy on him, forgive the poor boy. He's simply unable to say no to any offers from girls. No matter how cute or ugly." Sam's voice dripped with disdain. I sat awkwardly, my arms and shoulders close to my chest. I'm trying to disappear universe, give me a freaking break and help me out will you?

"You think I'm cute?" Amber turned to me and asked. I felt Sam's grip on my shoulder tighten, I winced.

"Well, you know." I rambled, "you're not just cute but you're ... uh ..." I glanced back at Sam, a weird uneasiness snaking in my stomach. "Pretty." I managed to keep the question from my voice. I felt a little weird. I knew my face was red as it was super hot. I wanted to give up and lie down.

"Ugly," Sam finished unwantedly. I stared at him him, my eyes wide. I tried to turn back to Amber to tell her that wasn't what I was going to say but her eyes were trained on Sam. It was like daggers were being thrown by their glares. Can I run?

Sam got up dragging me up with him, "Mrs. M. Adam isn't feeling well, may I take him to the nurse?" Sam was being oddly polite, his voice a tiny bit higher and louder than it needed to be, but his eyes never left Amber.

I wonder if he likes her. I thought, yeah. And he's being rude because he's embarrassed and he doesn't know how not to. A smile slid across my face this time as he dragged me down the hallway. If I can get them together he'll leave me alone. It's the perfect plan. I would have tapped my fingers together with a little evil laugh and a devilish grin, but my arms were already flailing rapidly due to the fact that I was literally literally being dragged.

Sam opened the boy's bathroom door and locked it behind us, I wonder why there was even a lock on this door, wasn't that door better left always unlocked? I was still tripping over myself as he slammed me into the wall, dangerously close to one mirror. His face was inches from mine as he spoke quietly, "stay away from her."

I only grinned, which probably was probably not the right thing to do given the situation, he so liked her. ~