໒ཏศ♇₮ཛཞ 2 ~ Math is Simply Not Important Enough

:|:Math is Simply Not Important Enough:|:

:|:chapter 2:|:

Adam

~ I choked down the last sip of my Coke, the week had gone by with little interaction with Sam. It was a good week. I tossed the empty bottle into the garbage and made my way into math. Sadly, it was math. One class that I shared with Sam, and as it was a Wednesday, he would be extra chatting. The school's football games were always scheduled on Tuesdays, and seeing as how we always won, Sam always made it a tradition to brag. BraggingHam, that's my new name for him.

I took out my binder, we had a test coming up next time which meant today was review day. Review day was one of the few days I paid attention, it was the one day when Mrs. Mangeone actually taught us in a way that was easy to understand.

"Mr. Curtis." The teacher cooed loudly. I was startled out of my note taking daze to say the least. I looked up to find Sam with a ruler an inch away from his nose, and trust me, the ruler was in inches. "Is that a moron I spot on the end of this stick?" she asked. I swear there was an "Oooh" that erupted from almost everybody in the class. A smile tugged at Mrs. Mangeone's mouth, she enjoyed this.

Sam pushed the ruler away with his finger, an almost disgusted look on his face while he did so. "well, I don't know about you but from my point of view there certainly was." Laughter clouded the walls and the windows as Mrs. Mangeone's cheeks burst into a bright red. Ouch, got cha' there.

"Why in heaven's good name won't you ever close your big, fat mouth?" she asked incredulously. You could tell she was beyond embarrassed by the high pitch her voice took on. Well, she did start it.

"Because life's just no fun that way Mrs. M."

"M for moron!" somebody called out from the back near me. I didn't bother looking around, I knew it was one of the jocks that hung around Sam. I hope nothing gets pinned on me. Please leave me be.

"You- you- you!" Stuttering, Mrs. Mangeone was humiliated. She was looking around the classroom for the name caller, her cheeks puffed. I reeled back, ouch, it isn't looking good for you Mrs. Mangeone. I tried sending her a telepathic message to give up while she still had some dignity left. Her eyes landed on me and stayed for a good long second. I gulped, she wasn't getting my message. I knew what was going to happen next, right down to the words she was going to use. Turning back to Sam a smile grew on her face, "Why can't you be more like Mr. Micheals over there?" Her voice was sweet but the insinuation rude. His eyes grew ever so slightly as his head swiveled to look at me, just like every other head in the room, with maybe 2 exceptions.

I made a lame attempt to avoid their eyes, holding up my notebook to cover my face, I shut my eyes. I'm hiding, aren't I? Yup hiding. Oh god, I'm hiding like a girl. I should be ashamed. I was about to move the binder and face my peers like a manly man when I heard her start speaking again.

"Not only is he quiet, he participates, has perfect attendance, and turns in every assignment perfectly on time." Oh god why? Not facing my peers. Staying. Oh god, I liked you Mrs. Mangeone. You remembered my name at parent teacher conference and convinced my parents that I actually attended and didn't just skip.

"His tests scores are impeccable, he's polite to teachers, staff, and other students. He's honest, never gets in trouble, and I think you of all people," she emphasized, turning back to Sam, "could learn a little something from him." Hahahaha, yeah, no. I'm staying hidden thank you.

"Now that's not exactly true." Sam cast his gaze around the classroom, I peeked and caught his eyes with my own, gonna throw me under the bus? I reached into my heart though, sure Sam was loud, rude, and at almost every second and at every turn the most obnoxious guy you may ever meet but he's not a douche. Okay, he is, but that's not what I mean. He'll find it in his heart for sure to not screw me over. Nah, I'm sure he won't. His words were done seeping in, even I could tell, and he grinned at me. A devilish grin it was.