Chapter 15

The first thing I notice about Tre's apartment is that it was very dark

The first thing I notice about Tre's apartment is that it was very dark. All of the shades are drawn and there is only a small line of light peeking out from underneath them. Tre turns on the hall light and I can see a little more of the apartment in the golden glow of the ceiling light. It's surprisingly very clean from what I can see. It's a small area space, with the kitchen being immediately to the left and the living room right beside it. There's a large sectional couch on a black shag rug and one lounge chair caddy-corner to it. There's a flat screen tv hanging on the wall with a gaming system on the tv stand in front of the couch and a few small tables are scattered in between the furniture.

There's no decorations on any of the walls or on the tables. Besides the dark colored furniture, everything else is plain and white. I kind of thought him and Trell would have posters of half-naked girls on the walls are something like that, but there's no personal connection to anything in the open area. Nothing that gives any indication into their personal lives. But the apartment doesn't seem cold from the lack of personal connection, it still feels welcoming, but a welcoming only for certain people.

"My room's back here," Tre nods with his head in the left direction and he leads me past the kitchen and living room and into a small hallway before stopping at the very last door. He brings out a different key and unlocks his door.

I give his hand a gentle squeeze in mine and he opens the door. I shouldn't be surprised that's it completely dark too, but the darkness looks a little daunting to me. I feel like I'm about to be stepping into a dark world that I don't what is on the inside.

He gestures that I go first and I slowly walk into the darkness. Now I am a lamb stepping into the lions den. Tre follows me and then when we're both surrounded in the darkness he closes the door and I hear him move around and then a soft light comes on from his nightstand.

I take a moment to look around his room and it's a lot bigger than I thought it would be. Tre's large bed takes up about a third of the room and the rest of the room has a small desk with a laptop sitting on top, a dresser in the corner with a large tv on it, and a chair near the bed that has a few articles of clothing on it.

He has jet black curtains hanging over the windows and his floor is dark grey carpet. His floor is clean except for a few pairs of shoes set near the foot of the bed and in here, his walls aren't bare. There's a poster on one wall that has the Detroit skyline in black and white and on another wall there's pieces of notebook paper scattered across the wall. I step closer to the wall and see writings scribbled across the pages.

"Those are some of my writings," Tre mumbles and I look at all the pieces, each one being a different length and style. I would love to stay here and read them all, but I don't know if Tre is ready for me to read any of his works yet.