She was beautiful, even Tobias could agree.

"The pleasure is mine," he replied, sitting across.  Once his body touched the bench, an entire conversation erupted, centered on her; her likes, her dislikes, ranging from what she needed in a man to what she ate. Her stuttering had magically gone away.

She might be beautiful, but she is much too self-centered for anyone's liking, thought Tobias.

Finally, after what seemed like forever, the one-sided conversation came to an end at the sight of the king and queen approaching. King Marcus smiled at the princess while Queen Evelyn looked aside at her son. She noticed the look of boredom plastered blatantly on his face.

"We thank you for meeting with the prince," Evelyn spoke. "Your beauty is striking, but this decision is not one taken lightly. We hope to see you soon, dear princess."

Princess Lauren stood and bowed down gracefully before what she hoped would be her future in-laws. "The pleasure was all mine. The prince is more handsome than the stories do him justice," she blushed at Tobias, who forced a smile in thanks. "I will await your next invitation, my dear prince."

Tobias looked up and caught glimpse of an intensive glare coming from his father. With much reluctance, Tobias gently lifted Lauren's hand and pressed a kiss to her hand. "Until next time, princess."

A palace guard arrived and escorted Lauren back into the castle. Her cheeks heated profusely as she silently squealed, touching the skin he had kissed. She did not dare let herself look back at him, remembering the courting lessons that had taught her to leave them wondering and wanting more. 

Unfortunately for her, the man she was set on had no interest in wondering or wanting more of her.

Tobias let out a sigh of relief once the princess was out of sight within the castle walls. Marcus glared at his son, clenching his fist. He silently reprimanded himself for ever thinking he could be proud of the prince before him. 

"She is perfect for you," He insisted.

"The choice..." the queen continued. "...however, is yours. If you do not like her, we can arrange for you to meet with other princesses. I am sure there are many more that would love to meet you."

Tobias clenched his fist, a sudden rush of rage filling him. Instead of replying, he walked away, stopping reluctantly when his mother's voice fills his ears.

"Tobias, you will need to be in the dining hall at seven. Nita is retiring, so we will bid her goodbye," she laughed and looked at her husband. "I don't understand was it something we did? She was only here for a year..."

"It is only a meaningless servant, Evelyn," Marcus complained. "Pay no importance to something so insignificant."

Tobias flinched at his father's words. "I will be there, mother."

He couldn't care less that Nita was leaving, mainly because he knew the reason. The summer he came home, he decided to engage in an illicit affair with her. With no strings attached and no will to pursue a serious relationship, Tobias found comfort in Nina - a woman he believed could see him as an equal when they spent their nights together. 

The summer affair was a delightful distraction until Tobias had caught Nina stealing in his bedroom. Caught redhanded, Nina pleaded on her knees to be spared. She had sobbed on his bedroom floor, holding tight to his ankles. Only because she does not wish for her hands to be removed, Tobias had concluded that night. He grabbed her wrist and pinned her hand between his fingers. He removed the generational ring - one of many items she had attempted to steal from him - before he tossed her to the ground, announcing she was to resign in the morning or he would reveal her transgression.