Chapter 17

*RYDER'S POV*

She loves me. She actually said those words to me. The smile hasn't left my face since she said it and I feel like I'm in heaven. 

Her tiny body is resting lightly on mine as she sleeps and now that I know she is going to be okay I take the time to admire how perfect she is. Her body is covered in scars and bruises, but she is still so beautiful. 

She starts to stir in her sleep and the heart monitor begins to rise and beep like crazy. There is a terrifying expression on her face and my mind goes in a panic. 

"Angel, please wake up," I shake her a little to try to wake her up from her nightmare. Suddenly her eyes shoot open and look around frantically before landing on my own. Tears are pouring down her face, but she relaxes when she sees I'm the only one in the room. 

"Shhh, you're okay angel, it was just a nightmare, those bastards can't hurt you anymore," I assure her while running my fingers through her surprisingly soft hair. 

"It felt so real," she whispers while hugging me closer. "What happened to those men, Ryder?" She asks me. Now I'm faced with a predicament. I want to assure her they won't hurt her, but then if I tell her they are dead I don't want her to be scared of me. 

"Ryder?" I'm pulled from my inner debate by her tiny voice. "Did you kill them?" she asks me, and if I'm not mistaken there is hope in her voice. At that moment I know I have to tell her the truth because if she loves me, she also has to accept the violent and dangerous part of me. 

"Yes, Angel, they are dead. Unfortunately, I wasn't the one to put a bullet in their head, but Cole and Russell did it." I say to her while looking in her eyes. 

"Thank you, Ryder, for everything. You have made me so happy and I feel so protected when I'm with you. I never knew life could be so beautiful, but you have shown me true happiness and love and I will forever be grateful," she says to me while staring into my now glossy eyes. I know I would be a blubbering mess if I attempted to share my own feelings with her, so I decided to show her how I feel. 

I grab her face with my hands "I love you, Angel," I say to her before crashing my lips onto her own. She responds immediately and wraps her dainty hands around my neck and gently pulls my hair earning a soft moan. She smiles into the kiss and makes the first move to deepen it. I open my mouth right away and our tongues are dancing with each other while our hands roam each other's bodies. 

We pull away to catch our breath. Suddenly the door opens and a nurse walks in. 

"Hello Kayleigha, my name is Denise and I will be your nurse for the next few hours," the nurse says with a smile, not even bothering to look at me which I'm grateful for. She walks to the bed and monitors with a clipboard and begins to write things down. When she is done she turns to us and looks at me for the first time since stepping into the room. 

"You must be Ryder," she says extending her hand to shake mine. "You have made quite the impression around here." I smile shyly at her and feel Leigh stiffen beside me in confusion. 

"I will get someone to bring you some food Kayleigha and I will check in with you soon if you need anything just press the button," Denise says while walking out the door. 

"What does she mean you made 'quite the impression'?" Angel asks me with a stern face. 

"Well, I might have exploded a bit on a nurse who wouldn't stop flirting with me while she was supposed to be taking care of you," I say to her without looking into her eyes. I prepared for her to be angry at me for being rude, but what she did next totally surprised me. 

"I know I should be mad at you for being rude and causing a ruckus, but," she says while getting closer to my ear, "it kinda turns me on how loyal you are," she whispers seductively. My breath hitches in my throat and I look at her wide-eyed. She smirks at me before lightly nibbling on my ear lobe. 

"Now that's just plain mean Angel, getting me all hot and bothered when you know I can't fuck you with your injuries right now," I say to her in a deeper than necessary voice. Her smirk drops and she blushes. I laugh and kiss her cheek. 

Her food comes and while she eats we talk about anything and everything, both of us enjoying the other's company. 

"The boys and Sam are going to come and visit you tomorrow if that's okay," I say to her. 

Her face brightens and a smile breaks out, "of course it's okay!" she says. 

"I love you, Angel," I say to her as her eyes start to droop and I also feel the exhaustion hit me like a train. 

"I love you too Ryder," she says to me before sleep comes over both of us.