Chester chuckled, bringing his workout to a halt. He got up and moved to another machine, this one a leg press machine.

"You guys need to find something more entertaining to do with your time."

I silently chuckled.

"But did you?" Seth prodded, plopping down on the bench nearby as Chester set the weights and laid down to begin his next workout.

I waited, listening patiently and ignoring Jaxon's impatience. I wanted to hear his response, and for some reason, it felt imperative to hear.

We were mates, I felt it. And he was already sixteen. There's no way he would lie about it, right?

"Unfortunately." His reply came moments later, and my heart plummeted to the pit of my stomach.

What did that mean? Was he not happy?

"Is she hot?" Seth pushed, a grin splitting his face. By now, Jaxon was also eavesdropping. Perhaps the bit about Chester finding his mate had finally made the impatience subside.

"It's not a she. My mate's a guy." Chester corrected. Seth was silent for a moment before he spoke again, arms raised in surrender.

"Not discriminating, man. But why is it unfortunate? You found your mate. That's awesome!" Seth exclaimed, far more thrilled by the news than the other boy.

Chester expelled a deep breath, taking on a sitting position, putting yet another pause to his workout.

"Yeah, it would be if it had been anyone else or the one guy I actually wanted." he retorted, raking his fingers through his dark hair in a frustrated manner. My heart sunk lower.

Seth frowned. "Who exactly is your mate?"

Chester chuckled, the sound cold and void. "Out of every unmated wolf in Black Rock Canyon, I get stuck with Bennett Reid."

So we are mates, and he didn't want me. And I was no longer ecstatic about turning sixteen and finding my mate. He'd sneered my name like a curse. Like a I was a disease. A nuisance.

"I'd rather be mated to his sister or stay unmated than accept him. Now that the one guy I want is unavailable." he added, successfully crushing my hopes of ever being with him.

"So what?" Seth started, a slightly irritated edge to his tone. "You're going to reject him or something?" Seth's tone was angry now, and he sneered the word 'reject' as though it were the foulest thought.

"Maybe."

My eyes were stinging, my breathing coming in shallow.

"Why?" Seth pushed, his tone growing more irritated. I wouldn't blame Seth for getting mad. His dad rejected his mother for another wolf and eloped with her when Seth was just about twelve.

"He's weak. I can't have a mate like that. I'm supposed to be the next beta." Chester argued, his tone getting irate as he ranted. Seth tried to maintain a blank face, but every few moments, disappointment broke through.

Who knew that Seth, the bully, would show such conflict over one of his victims?

"Bennett is supposed to be the next fourth-in-command. The elite pack warrior. Instead he fights like a frightened kid afraid of his own shadow. He continues like that; he'll make us a joke to other packs." my 'mate' continued raging.

"We're still pretty young, Chester. Most challengers for the fourth-in-command rank don't make a move until they're at least twenty." Seth reasoned.