Let's Make Something Beautiful

A short chapter, but it's one of my favourites.

September 18, 1986

Freddie
I had helped Jim get a flat just a couple blocks away from the house and everything had been working out smoothly. We were both happier being apart, just as friends, and it seemed like the kids were, too. Finn and Faria liked to have some time apart, when she would go to Brian's, or he would go to Jim's, but sometimes she would follow him and he would follow her, so I would have the house to myself. It felt weird waking up alone every morning, but something told me that that wouldn't last much longer and that someone would be next to me in bed very soon.

Both kids had gone to Jim's on that Thursday morning, then he got them for the weekend so I could figure some things out. He was doing really well with the separation, and we still talked to each other almost every day- there was no one else I'd rather co-parent with.

I took a deep breath and I walked through the downtown area of London, looking through the shops and trying to find the perfect ring. Yes, a ring. I had been proposed to twice at that point, and now it was my turn.

"Can I help you find anything?" A woman asked, softly, and I looked up from the glass box with a small smile.

"Actually, yes please." I blushed deeply and she nodded, coming around to my side of the counter and standing next to me. "So... it's a long story, but my partner and I have known each other for a long, long time, and he proposed to me after we had our first child, but I said no, then we split for a long time and I had another child with another partner, and now I just want him back and I think it's my turn to propose." I explained, quickly, and she looked absolutely stunned. "I guess what I'm saying is that I'm looking for an engagement ring, but something special." I shrugged and she smiled, knowing what I was saying right then.

"What's this special man like? Does he like it simple, or blingy?" She asked, walking around a bit and looking at all of the engagement rings.

"He likes things simple." I told her, looking through the rings and trying to imagine giving something to Brian.

Well, things weren't ever really simple with us, but something told me he didn't want an extravagant diamond ring. He was simple when it came to love, he loved things just because he felt like loving them, they didn't have to be overly fancy or special.

"I think he may like this one." She went behind one of the cases and she pulled out two gold bands. She gently passed them to me and I bit my lip, trying not to cry- they would've been tears of joy, but she still didn't need to see me crying.

"It's perfect." I breathed, carefully slipping it onto my finger and holding it up so I could actually see it. "He's going to love it." I smiled at her and she hummed, then she took the two rings from me and she put one back in the case.

I followed her up to the register and she rang me through, I gave her the cash, then she put the ring in a box and I stuffed it in my coat pocket, so Brian wouldn't see it when I got there. My fingers shook when I tucked it away, I was insanely nervous, but I knew he'd say yes- he was confident when he proposed, so I had to be confident when I did it.

---

I knocked on the door, then I waited until Brian answered, panting slightly, but smiling when he saw me.

"Hi, love." He breathed and I smiled back at him. "Sorry, I was just... doing some exercise, I wasn't expecting you today." He let me walk into the house and I laughed when I went into the sitting room.

"Is that Jane Fonda, Brian?" I asked, laughing a little harder, and he quickly went to shut off the television set, a blush rising on his cheeks. "Why were you watching Jane Fonda?" I chuckled, taking off my jacket and setting it on the sofa.