Chapter 14: Truth

A/N: Okay, first time I've done an author note before the story. This is all the backstory, so please bear with me. It explains a lot. So that's good right?  Also dedicated to AwesomenessIsMaThing because she's an absolute star and a brilliant writer so please check out her shtuff.

I love you guys. Stay beautiful.

xxLadyKnight

_________________________________________________________________________________

“There has been a war waging between the Lost and the Hunters. The Hunters are a group of zealous humans, filled with a deep hatred for everything that the Lost has. They were once taken in by the Lost. They were what you would call "changelings". Orphans with no purpose, we made them our most prized citizens. We taught them our magic, gave them the Sight. We showed them how to be like us, to live as one of us for hundreds of years.

Until one grew too greedy, too powerful for us to control. He led an uprising but he lost. He was young then, naive and reckless. His followers and he were thrown out of our city. Forced to live knowing the beauty and majesty of Fey and never able to return. He grew in hatred in those years, and began the Hunters. They want to find the Lost once again, to find Fey.” Kian began, his eyes misting over as he settled into the story.

“What is a fey? As in faeries?”  Rhiannon asked in wonder. She couldn't believe it. It was so bizzare to think someone could be so filled with hatred. So filled with hate that it could morph their very existence. Consume them.

“Fey is our home, our power source and where we get our true names. It is a city in the Underworld. And before you ask the Lost come in many shapes and sizes, werewolves, mermaids, elves, anything really but our nobility are faeries.” Devlin answered before Kian could. Kian snorted in derision, he didn’t place much faith in faeries. Rhiannon wondered whether Devlin was a faery. She studied him from the the corner of her eye, trying to be subtle. 

He gave her a weak smile. She couldn't help the heat that rushed to her cheeks. She spun around and faced Kian, determined to find out as much as possible. She had to stay on task.

“Why would they want to take over Fey? If it’s just a city?” She asked.

“Control. You get our names, you have complete control over us. If they cannot control us, they seek to drive every single one of us into extinction because they fear us and they hate what they do not understand about us. They believe we are wrong for not enslaving humanity. With all our powers we could, but we refused." Kian said. He pulled a hand through his hair. He didn't look comfortable talking about this and Devlin relished every second of it.  He smirked from his side of the room, where he was leaning against a wall.

"What? Why would anyone follow this man? He's crazy!" Rhiannon said, shocked. Surely these Hunters had retained some sense of humanity. Why would they want to do this? Why would they want to follow such a man?

"The Slayer has convinced them that we are nothing but Devil's Spawn, he's truly a charismatic man. I remember when I was boy and he would speak on the streets about faeries and their sense of superiority over the rest of the Lost. I wanted to join him. To be him. To feel the power he felt. As a demon, I'm the lowest of the low but he... a changeling had looked to us for support. But it was lies. He wanted the power and he used us to get it for him. " Kian's eyes grew hazy as he remembered, the pain on his features was evident. He couldn't contain it.  He shifted his weight, beads of sweat forming on his forehead. Rhiannon struggled against the urge to comfort him.

"Who is Morrighan in all this?" She demanded, trying to maintain the strength behind her words.

"Morrighan is queen of the darker citizens of Fey, she gives us a bad name but the fear inspires offers some protection. Our knights have been disposed of. Imprisoned. Killed. The leader of the Hunters is the Tuer de la Ombre, the Slayer of the Shadows. He has no mercy. We've lost so many under his blade.” A shiver whispered down Rhiannon’s spine at the name. It was as if calling his name gave him power.