Chapter 11: Stand Off

“Thank the gods you are alright, my lady.” Devlin’s voice washed over her and she soaked it up like a person dying of thirst. Rhiannon had missed him so much. Somehow, it felt right to wake up to his voice.

“What happened, Devlin?” Her voice cracked a little from disuse, but Devlin understood her perfectly. She opened her eyes slowly, squinting against the light. She felt hideous and she was pretty sure the guy at her side was perfectly perfect.

She would’ve given a disgust snort, if she didn’t feel so groggy.

He walked around her bed and gave her a glass of cool water.

It soothed her dry throat.

She knew she should’ve pushed his hand away and grabbed the glass for herself, like a nice modern girl. But if she was being completely truthful herself, she liked being taken care of. Rhiannon was touched by Devlin’s caring gesture, especially when he lifted her head to allow her to drink better.

“You fainted and no one was able to wake you.”

Rhiannon could hear the silent not even me, that Devlin added to the end of the sentence. She wanted to reassure him but she didn’t think he wanted her reassurance at the moment, she sat up.

“I fainted. That’s all?  That isn’t a big deal, dude. Trust me. People do that all the time. What was with the whole ‘thank the gods you’re alright’ thing?  Don’t you think your worry is just a tad bit exaggerated?” Rhiannon laughed half-heartedly, wrapping her arms around her knees.

Devlin shifted from one foot to the other. “It’s not the fact you fainted that had everyone - not just me, worried mio tesoro.”

Rhiannon’s eyes widened as comprehension filled her dark eyes. All grogginess fled as she observed the room around her.

It was only then she noticed her surroundings, she was in a huge sterile room. Doctors hurried past as nurses dashed after them, murmuring to themselves and taking notes. Her clothes were neatly folded on a seat across from her bed. Rhiannon had no idea how she’d gotten here.

The room smelt strangely of wild spices and detergent. But she was certain that was only because Devlin was standing so close to her.

She felt heat rush to her cheeks.

“How long have I been out?”  Rhiannon insisted.

“A fortnight.”

“Holy cow.

“My thoughts exactly.”

He started pacing back and forth, deep in thought.

He was silent for so long that all Rhiannon could do was hope he’d speak soon. Rhiannon got dizzy from watching him and his ceaseless circles. She was hardly going to just sit around and look pretty.

“Do you care to share? Or are you going to keep all this to yourself?” She asked, swinging her legs down before softly touching the floor. It was so cold. She couldn’t place her toes on the floor without wincing.

“What do you think you’re doing?” A voice demanded from the doorway.

Rhiannon peeked back to see a man in still in his prime, about forty. Tall, with broad shoulders and a trim waist, he was obviously a man who took care of himself. His well groomed hair was blond and wavy, his face familiar but she couldn’t figure out how.

“I was getting out of bed last time I checked.” Rhiannon retorted. She wanted to leave and no monster doctor was going to keep her doing just that. A hospital room was not a prison.