Chapter 12: Found

"Deidre I swear to God, I'm okay." She whispered into her phone, careful not to gain the attention of the nurse or Dr Hart.

"You say that but you were out for so long Ree! You can't expect me to just be okay with that. Are you starving yourself? Because I swear I will kill you myself if you have. YOU HAVE!" Deidre's voice and concern squealed through the phone. Rhiannon had to move away to make sure she didn't go deaf.

"I haven't. I promise. Just please enjoy your holiday."

"Holiday? This stupid storm has made this a living nightmare. Ugh, I just want to come home and give you a massive hug. I can't believe we're stuck in Fiji for another week until the storm dies down." Rhiannon smiled as she imagined Deidre pouting.

"You know, I really miss you."

"I miss you too Ree. Tell me all the goss when I get home yeah?" Rhiannon wondered if she should tell her about Devlin. But she wasn't sure that would be a good idea just yet. She'd break it to her when she came back.

"Of course, bye Deeds. I'll see you soon."

"Love you, Ree. Take care of your skinny ass for me." She hung up and Rhiannon felt energized.

She threw on her skinny jeans and khaki hoodie, tying her black steel-capped boots with a flourish. She tied her hair into a high ponytail and she felt a bit better. Rhiannon still felt grimy but she’d just grin and bear it.

She felt like she was ready for nearly anything.

Rhiannon flung back the door in her excitement and bumped into a wall of flesh. It would seem I can’t let my guard down for five seconds without falling onto my ass, she thought ruefully. Kian smiled down at her crookedly, a bunch of flowers crumpled in his hand.

“Are those for me?” Rhiannon laughed. Caught in the hilarity of the situation, perhaps on the verge of hysteria. She lay back on the ground, staring up at him.

Something in his eyes screamed an apology, she wondered why. It was only there for a second, it flickered like a flame and then it was gone. It disappeared so fast that Rhiannon wondered if she’d imagined it.

He leaned casually against the door frame, bearing an air of bold confidence.

“Actually, no. They’re for my ailing great grandmother next door. She’s very old and brittle but the thought of me bringing her, barely alive store bought flowers is the sole sunshine in her otherwise dreary day.” Kian swore. He his stoic face giving nothing away. She raised an eyebrow at him and she barely caught a twitch at the corner of his lips.

Rhiannon didn’t believe him for a second. Rhiannon kicked him playfully on the toe of his shoe before helping herself up. Ignoring his offering to help.

“What’s your great grandmother’s maiden name?” Rhiannon asked nonchalantly, staring at her nails at different angles, before eyeing him suspiciously. He looked completely collected but she was pretty sure she could crack him.

“Um, why? I hardly think that’s relevant.”

“To the contrary it’s very relevant. I’d like to send my regards to her with some flowers, maybe a card or two. I mean, she’d have to be a pretty good great grandmother to deserve the support of the one and only Kian.” She waved her hands around him.

“Gretchen Switzerbottom.” He said confidently, giving her a look of challenge.

Rhiannon admitted she liked this Kian. He wasn't just some mysterious boy she couldn't talk to. He seemed... normal. Well, her type of normal.