Heat

I was sitting next to my team and we were just talking about nonsense. Like how Stacey thinks the word 'potato' is spelled weird, but Linn disagreeing.
          Elle then started humming 22 by Taylor Swift and Ryla and Olive started the beat. Soon we were improv-ing the song. We weren't the best, but it was fun, all 30 of us singing in a circle.
          We attracted the attention of the guys, they gathered around us and just stared. The younger kids started dancing and some of us got up to dance with them. The song ended and Stacey picked back up with Raise Your Glass by P!nk.
         I didn't have an extremely important part so I got up, Masey picking up where I left off.  An adorable little boy with a birthmark on his cute little face came up to me.
          "May I have this dance?" He asked, in the cutest little British accent. Awwwwww oh my gosh!
         "Oh, of course!" I said, and he smiled up at me.
           We twirled and danced and laughed. He was the cutest kid I've ever seen and he was having a lot of fun. The song ended and he skipped off to his friends. I heard him telling them that he danced with a pretty girl, and they all giggled. I smiled and sat back down.
          Naomi started Perfect by Ed Sheeran and her beautiful voice flowed through the air.
           Simon went up to Masey and shyly asked her to dance. Awww. It's like a middle school dance.
         Someone appeared in front of me. I turned and Jack's eyes, only a shade darker than mine, stared into my soul. His aquamarine orbs were locked onto mine as he asked me to dance.
          I didn't want to be prissy so I accepted. He flashed a brilliant white smile at me and led me to where everyone was slow dancing.
         I hooked my arms loosely around his neck and he put his hands on my waist. Ew ew ew. I only have to survive one song.
        I watched everyone dance around us. This is too awkward. His stare is like a damn laser. We were one minute in and I heard someone clear their throat.
         "May I cut in?"
         Ralph. My head whipped towards him and Jack glared. HALLELUJAH. Just before Jack could say anything I opened my mouth.
          "Sure, Ralphie. Jack wouldn't mind, would you, Jack?" I turned to Jack and gave him my best puppy eyes.
His face softened and he smiled at me.
            "Of course not," he said, and he shot a look at Ralph before walking away.
             I turned to fully face Ralph, "Oh my gosh, I thought I would've had to sneak away somehow!"
             He chuckled and wrapped his hands around me, "You're welcome?"
             I giggled, "My hero."
             I wrapped my hands around his neck and smiled at him, "So what's the plan for tomorrow, chief?"
             He gave me a smile back, "Shelters, a signal fire, weren't you paying attention at the meeting?"
            I flushed and looked away.
            "Annona? Are you okay?"
             "Um, not really."
             "May I ask why?"
             I looked up at him and my stomach twisted, "What if we don't make it out of here?"
                Ralph gave me a sad smile, "We will. But if we don't, we would go out fighting. I will not rest until we all make it out of here. I was elected chief. It's my job."
               I smiled and kissed his cheek, "I know, Ralphie."
               I rested my head on his shoulder and closed my eyes. Are things moving too fast with Ralph? Should I even be doing this while we are in a life or death situation? If I die here, I want to die happy. I haven't known Ralph for long, but he makes me happy. And he's cute. That helps. Sharp jawlines are a wonderful touch.
              I open my eyes and see Jack, standing a few yards away, dancing with Stacey. He's staring right at me, eyes blazing. Yay, he's creepy!
             We fly through a few more songs until we are all exhausted. Naomi, Simon, Masey, Piggy, Ralph, and I look for somewhere to sleep. The sun is almost completely gone when we find a nice spot on the edge of the forest.
             I flop onto the soft sand and Naomi does the same. Ralph sits on my left and everyone else fills in, sitting in a small circle.
             Masey slumps into Simon's arms, the quiet boy blushing furiously, Masey too exhausted to tell. Piggy is already asleep, curled up as soon as he hit the ground. Naomi crawled under a tree, the moss growing on it cushioning her head.
             I curled up on the sand, attempting to be comfortable, and failing. I stayed there for a while, trying to stop my racing thoughts.
            I survived a plane crash today. I could've died. I could still die. I'm trapped on a deserted island. There are no adults.  This loop kept repeating in my head until it drove me insane. I sat up and looked around, my eyes adjusting to the dark.
             I cried as silently as possible, careful not to wake anyone. My tears are hot on my face and I watch them fall onto the soft sand. Someone shifts behind me and I quickly wipe my face and turn around. Ralph's eyes met mine and his features twisted into a slight frown. He put his arms out and I sank into them. A hug felt good.
             Ralph sat up and held me for a while, petting my hair. I finally let myself drift off into sleep.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
             I woke up to someone hitting my arm. I blinked away the sunlight glaring in my eyes and saw Naomi hitting me with an amused look on her face.
            "Ow, Nao! Stop it!" I shouted.
            "Your boyfriend is building the shelters right now and Piggy told me to wake you up," she smirked.
            "Ralph isn't my- argh! You can stop hitting me!" I said, embarrassed.
             She smirked again and picked up something laying on me, I hadn't noticed it. Ralph's jacket. Aw, that's sweet. I blushed and she wiggled her eyebrows at me.
              I got up, brushing the sand off of me, and went in search of my backpack. I walked around aimlessly for a while until I found it on the beach. I brought it back to my little spot near the trees where I left Ralph's jacket. I tossed onto the sand and went towards the crowd of people building little huts.
            "Annona! Perfect!" Ralph turned away from a hut and smiled at me, "Can you help Simon and I with this hut?"
             My stomach flipped at how cute he was when he smiled. Ew, it's like I'm seasick but without the damn boat.
            I walked over and started to help. We built for a few hours and by the end only a handful of us were still building. I couldn't blame the others, it was hot out, but that still didn't stop me from completely hating them for stopping. Rude, I'm working my arse off!
             We finally finished the last of the six huts. I flopped onto the ground. The trees saving me from the vicious sun. Some of the guys had their shirts off and the girls only had their shirts on and booty shorts. But my outfit makes me look hot. So it's staying on until I get desperate.
           I take my boots and socks off, though. Combat boots aren't fun in the summer. And knee-high socks just aren't doing it for me. I watch people swim in a small pool-like area. The water glimmers from the sun's rays.
          I pick up my backpack and unzip it. It has a now useless phone charger, a soaked sketchbook, deodorant, tooth floss, a brush, half a soggy Snickers that I don't dare to eat, and two extra hair ties. PRAISE THE GODS!
          I throw my hair into a ponytail to get it off my neck. That makes the heat a bit more bearable. A bit.
         Naomi is flirting with EVERYONE. Watching her in her natural habitat, a group of hot people, is like watching a panther. She's so dangerous, yet captivating. My best friend is gorgeous. I would be lying if I said I wasn't amazed. Elle was blushing at her compliments but Jack was flirting back. Nasty little motherfu- ahem. Creepy creep creep.
         I watched people interact for a while, it was like watching a TV show. I enjoy just watching people, it helps me read into their personality, and I learned most people's names. The older ones anyway.
          The day passed by in a blur. We found fresh water, the little kids discovered that some trees had fruit, and someone saw a pig in the forest. Jack was excited at the prospect of a hunt. He volunteered his choir to be the hunters. To me, that sounds like a snooze fest. But less work for Naomi and I.
           Ralph decided to wait until tomorrow to make a fire. It was too late to go to the mountain, and we can't go without light. No one complained.
           I was sitting on the beach, the sun too low to annoy me with its heat, and watching the gentle waves. The reef further out was a blessing, stopping the ocean from whisking away the dainty sand, allowing us to play in the water. I was watching the little kids play with Ryla and trying to ignore Olive and Linn's makeout session not even 15 feet away.
        Those two are so cute, but so disgusting. Sucking on each other's faces like leeches. I heard someone walking behind me and turned around.
        "Hi, Ralph. What's up?" I said, smiling.
        "Hey, Annona. Want to go for a walk?" He said, responding with his own sweet smile.
        "Absolutely! Plus, it'll get me away from those two lovebirds," I said, winking and nodding my head towards Olive and Linn, who were still locking lips.
          Ralph chuckled and I stood up, "Lead the way, Chief!"
         He smiled his adorable smile and started walking in the direction of the spot we talked at yesterday.