Chapter Ten

A tortoiseshell she-cat waited impatiently outside a fairly small house. Her tail was flicking back and forth, and her ears were pricked. It was almost sun-high, and Fresh wasn't home.

Fresh was always home at sun-high. She was pretty strict about her daily routine, and now it was time for her to eat. So, the fact that she wasn't there made Fly very anxious.

The tortoiseshell had been waiting since a little after sun-up. Fly had felt uncomfortable about feeling that her best friend had lied to her yesterday, and she had to say something. Fresh not being there made Fly feel a lot worse.

A little after sun-high, a tan tabby she-cat came padding up to the porch of the house, completely missing Fly. The she-cat had her head down, and her green eyes looked irritated and hurt, which made Fly unsure if this was really Fresh. But it looked just like her, so Fly walked up to her.

"Fresh! Where have you been? I've been waiting for almost the whole day!" Fly tried to growl, but she was mostly just happy to see her friend home.

The tan tabby looked up, her green eyes wide with shock. Clearly, she had not been expecting Fly. "I was just, going for a walk?"

Fly was wide-eyed. This was very obviously a lie, and Fresh had never lied to Fly. The two she-cats were very close, and they were always truthful, no matter what. What was so important that Fresh was lying about it?

"Why are you lying, Fresh? Were you lying yesterday too? You've never lied to me before... What changed?" Fly was hurt, more so than she had expected. Her blue eyes began to water, but she stopped herself from sniffling and sounding pathetic.

"I'm so sorry, Fly! But I had a good reason! Come in my yard, and I'll tell you?" Fresh's green eyes were round with guilt, so Fly couldn't say no. The two jumped onto and then over the fence.

"Please, explain," Fly mewed. Fresh stared at the tortoiseshell, her green eyes still filled with guilt.

"Well, I'm so sorry for lying about going to sleep yesterday. I wanted to go out to the wild, and explore by myself. I know you would've wanted to come," the tan tabby she-cat tried to reason.

"That's no excuse," Fly mumbled, unsure why she was so upset.

"You're right, I'm so sorry, Fly," Fresh looked away. "I met a rogue, and his name was Fish. One thing led to another, and we've decided... something." Despite everything, Fresh still couldn't say what it was. Fly was starting to get angry.

"What do you mean 'one thing led to another'?" Fly hissed, and the tan tabby flinched.

"We, uh, talked. With his dead parents. In a dream, but it was real," Fresh stuttered. Fly narrowed her eyes in suspicion.

"How do I know you're not lying to me again?" the tortoiseshell spat. She had never been this angry before. In fact, Fly couldn't remember a time where she had ever been angry.

"I wouldn't lie to you, Fly. Just when I went out! Please, believe me," Fresh looked at her white paws. Fly felt a pang of sympathy for the tan tabby.

She's never lied before yesterday. I know Fresh well enough to know when she's lying. At least, I thought I knew her well.

"Fine. Continue on from where you trailed off. Something about a decision?" the tortoiseshell she-cat couldn't look at her friend anymore.

"We decided..." Fresh shook her head. Fly growled a little, which brought Fresh almost to tears, but she began to speak again. "We decided to form a group, of sorts. To stand up against the rogue group. The ones we heard about from Lucky?"