Chapter 12

I was drunk and his hand felt nice in mine. I knew that. But I also knew that I shouldn't be doing this again. The first time I had been ignorant to the things that would come. I had no idea that it would risk my job. I could not use that excuse this time. Once more I was leaving a bar with alcohol heavy in my system and Miles by my side. But this time I knew I was climbing into my boss's car.

Still that little voice in my head wasn't enough to stop me from moving forward when Miles opened the passenger door on a bright red coupe and waited for me patiently. The hand that touched my back so gently when I moved to seat myself was enough to make me shiver. I knew I couldn't have it again, but I wanted him so bad.

While the other men in this club had made me feel uneasy and disgusted he had made me feel unbridled and exceptional. I wanted that more than ever now.

As I clicked my seat belt into place I took note that this was not the same car that I had ridden in before. For one it had almost no back seat as it was a two door and the sharp colour was a contrast to the silver one from before. There was also no driver to cart the two of us around. Still, this car was just as luxurious with its smooth seats and high quality sound system.

"How many cars do you own?" I asked, almost sounding exasperated when Miles climbed into the driver's side. The words were out of my drunken mouth before I could even consider whether the question was inappropriate or not. I wasn't an expert but I assumed that asking my boss about his cars- often seen as status symbols- may be a little too bold.

"A few." He answered, but his eyes were on his mirrors. A second later his hand grabbed the shifter, his blinker was on, and the engine roared as he sped into the busy street. Once he was in the flow of traffic he drove with a smoothness that I appreciated.

"Stick," I mused, "it's a dying art, you know."

"Maybe, but it's more fun."

The conversation died there. I didn't have the ability to keep it up and my mind was already distracted by all of the lights floating by the car window. For a brief moment I could only think about how beautiful Anaheim was at night.

Unfortunately, Miles was not done with me.

"Did you leave anyone behind at the bar?" I just stared at him blankly, "Do I need to go back and pick up a friend. I don't want someone calling the cops because you left unexpectedly and the rule is that you never leave a friend alone at a bar, right?"

"I went alone," I said, hoping to ease his mind.

That only seemed to set him off more.

"You went to a club alone? And you came out this drunk? What if someone had put something in your drink? What if some girl had tried to get in a fight with you or you lost your wallet? What if some guy wouldn't take no for an answer?"

"I wasn't planning on getting this drunk!" I defended. I hated the way that he spoke to me like I was a child. It reminded me of how Bella would talk to me after I had done something stupid. "Besides, what difference does it make if I go home with a guy from a country bar or if I go home with a guy from a place that plays decent music? At least this time I would know that I wasn't having sex with my boss."

"No one ever plans on getting smashed." He snapped back, "I'm just thankful that I showed up when I did. Were you just going to walk home?"

"What were you even doing there?" I shot back. My eyes ran over his dark suit and styled hair in the passing street lights. He looked handsome, he always did, but he would've been way over dressed for a place like that. Plus, I would imagine that it would be quite hard to dance in a suit.