Chapter 6

"Shut up." I blurted in shock. Then my hand flew to cover my mouth when I realized what I had said and who I had spoken to. I was no longer speaking with the light hearted man I had met at the bar who teased me about my sequins ears and beat up sneakers. I was talking to my boss, my employer, someone who owned one of the largest security companies in America.

"It's true." He replied, not seeming terribly bothered by my outburst, "You wanted to know about the promotion that got me that car, " he spread his arms out on either side of him, "well here it is."

"This is impossible, BlackHawk is a multimillion dollar company, maybe even multibillion." I sputtered.

"I'm aware."

"But how? You can't be more than twenty five."

"Twenty six actually. The previous CEO became a little out of touch with the modern world and because of that he was not a good face to put in front of clients or employees. Plus, he has a hard time comprehending security risks that aren't physical so anything cyber was completely beyond him. It was time for him to retire. And it only makes sense that his son would take over."

"You're Stan Miller's son?"

"In the flesh."

"I slept with you." I rambled, raking my fingers through my hair, "My God I slept with my boss without even knowing it."

"Hey, it's okay, no one has to know." Miles soothed. "I mean, aside from the people that saw us leaving the bar together. At the time I think they assumed we were friends who happened to meet up. Unfortunately I don't think that story is going to hold much merit anymore."

"I worked so hard to get this job, a job I'm barely qualified for. I'll never get an opportunity like this again. God damn hick bars and girly drinks."

"How about we sweep this all under the rug if you agree to go to supper with me? I know we kind of skipped that par-"

"That's incredibly counterproductive, don't you think?" I demanded, getting to my feet. "I just want to be a valued employee."

"Is it something that I said that makes you not want me? I'm sorry if I upset you somehow or moved things too quickly, I thought it was what you wanted." Miles asked, cocking his head to one side. The softness that coated his features was dribbling away once more. I could see that strong business man beneath it all again.

"You did nothing wrong. It was what I wanted. But now I just want a job without getting tangled with the boss, okay?"

"Alright." He agreed, but there was something in his expression that told me this argument wasn't over. His blue eyes weren't settled like I expected and his shoulder's hadn't slumped with defeat just yet. "But I will have to change your position due to the fact that Rachelle will fire you the second she sees you. She's become a little protective over the years."

"Tell her not to." I protested.

He gave me a slight smile, "Not only would that cause even more rumors to start it is also impossible. Rachelle works faster than anyone I've ever met. She also had sole control over all the employees with less than three years seniority. If she wants you gone and I put up a fight I will be blatantly undermining her and as of right now the son that was handed his father's company isn't particularly loved enough to make waves."

"Well I can't lose this job and I doubt I'm qualified for anything else in this massive company. I'm pretty sure when they saw my community college diploma they laughed."

Miles shifted away from the desk and looped around it so he could sit in the oversized leather chair. After a few clicks on the keyboard there was a smooth chime as he logged on.

"What are you doing?" I demanded, shuffling forward. I still couldn't see the laptop screen from where I was perched but I could see the seriousness in his expression. I didn't like that expression when my future career was the topic at hand.

"Here." He murmured to himself, then his eyes moved to me, "I'm pulling up your resume to see if there are any other positions you can fill without being under Rachelle's control. What you saw in the hallway was nothing and if I hadn't saved you from her she would've fired you just for saying my name that way. Like I said I've had more than one girl come here to blackmail me for money or pretend to be pregnant and are finding more creative ways of getting passed the first floor, trust me. And if you're still within your first three months then she'll toss you out without blinking."

"She sounds like a peach."

"She gets shit done and I respect her for that. Not the kindest lady but you can't be when you run the junior associates of a company this size. She's seen enough shit to know you have to be tough from the beginning to keep everyone in line." He mused while he scrolled.

I said nothing in response, almost reeling from what I had learned and giving myself a moment to process it all. The man that I had taken home from a random country-themed bar was now my boss. Which explained the gorgeous car with a thousand options and the expensive suits. He had recently taken over one of the largest security companies in the United States and just knowing his first name was almost enough to get me fired. And now the job I had wanted to badly was hanging in the balance.

He continued to scroll for a few minutes.

"There is nothing else, is there?" I asked, feeling dread pool in my stomach. All the hard work bent over books to understand every inch of this companies policies. Laughing with Bella as we clinked glasses filled with cheap wine to celebrate finally having a career path I could move up in. Frantically racing around my apartment to get ready for the three separate interviews before they decided they wanted me. It was all for nothing.

"Well, there is one option but I'm hard pressed to think that you are going to like it." Miles stated.

"I'll take anything as long as Rachelle doesn't fire me." I said, placing my hands onto the desk and leaning onto them as I stood, "Please Miles, you have no idea how much this job was going to mean to me."

"Well then how would you feel about a promotion?"

"What are you talking about?"

"The only job that you could possibly qualify for is my personal assistant."

"Don't, Miles." I snapped, "I'm not in the mood for your jokes. Today has been one hell of a rollercoaster already."

"I'm not kidding." Miles shot back. He stopped searching his screen and leaned back in his chair, "You are a Legal Assistant. Knowledge of the law is important here, for sure, but it's not something that is directly applicable. We have an opening for a processor, but you have no processing experience and have never touched our computer system before. A salesman for door to door sales is also an option, but you have no sale experience. We could also move you to GuardStone, but you don't look like you'd be much good at training body guards. You were barista in college, then you took a massage therapy certificate, but never applied it to the work force. Bookkeeping is good, but again, not directly important." He explained, running his eyes over my pink skirt. "In fact you don't have the experience required to be my assistant, but I'm trusting that you will learn fast if you really want this job that bad."

"And if I don't?"

"Then your only other option is Rachelle."

*part one of the two updates, enjoy!*