Chapter 15

Though I thought I hadn't needed it I certainly did enjoy my time off. I could fake it all I liked but I was still adapting to the different schedule after being in college. At first it had been an exciting change from the lazy mornings and unwashed hair to thought-out outfits and leaving the house at almost the exact same time. I felt like I was coming into the refined woman I was meant to be. But any change was still difficult to overcome and part of me wanted to go back to wearing leggings and hoodies around campus and sleeping at bizarre hours.

So when the next morning came I let myself sleep in. I knew that I shouldn't have. I knew that I was ruining my own schedule by letting this happen, but I didn't care because it just felt so damn good. I rolled over when the sun peaked through the windows and pulled my blankets tighter around me. I could hear Mickey cooing over something as he scrubbed his most recent meal in the bathroom sink, but that was the only sound in my apartment and it soothed me back into sleep.

When I did finally get up I allowed myself to pull on those leggings that I had missed so much. My brown hair was pulled back into a ponytail then tucked underneath a baseball hat. I smiled a little bit when I passed a mirror. As much as I had come to love the skirts and blouses this was infinitely more comfortable and my skin felt so lovely with no makeup on it. then I headed out the door.

It wasn't a big summer adventure like I had pined for when Bella told me about all of her potential excursions, but when I told her about my day off she excitedly suggested a day trip out of the city. We spent the day talking and laughing. I carried nothing but a water bottle and my camera as we hiked through a canyon and when we reached the peak we basked in the view for a long while before ambling back down.

She could've brought up all the things she had recently learned. She could have grilled me about my brother and all of his involvement in the dark corners of the world. I'm sure there was a part of her that wanted answers. But she never asked. She just let me take all the pictures I wanted and never said a word when I became a little too quiet.

We decided to finish off the day by going to one of the best bakeries in the city. It was sleek, covered in marble and filled with people wearing dresses and suits. Miles would've fit in perfectly here if he had pulled up with his driver and funky tie. We, however, stuck out so badly that people stared. We were sweaty, dirty, and wearing clothes that were covered in dust and had the occasional rip. We didn't care. We wanted fine pastries and they could stare all they wanted. In fact, having judgmental eyes on us only made us laugh under our breath as we ate.

Once my adventure was over I felt refreshed and the following week passed wonderfully. The work was still intense and sometimes I had so many lines ringing and so many emails to return I felt like my head was spinning, but Bella had made all the difference. She was right. I needed to let go of what was bringing me down. It didn't matter if it was a shitty ex or glaring eyes from my co-workers, I had to live my life without fear again and that wasn't something I thought would ever be possible again after Declan. I had enough going on without worrying about things outside of my control.

Now, when Miles came out of his office we would chat and I would tell him about more things than just his scheduled appointments and concerning documents that had hit my desk. He particularly seemed to enjoy stories about Mickey so I began bringing pictures of Mickey when he had been a little kit and into everything. I drank out of my shark mug, Bruce, every day, and was shameless when I giggled over Miles's sharp comments. He was hilarious and thoughtful and I would not feel ashamed of enjoying his company any longer. In fact, I had allowed him to drive me home so often that I was almost considering it a routine now.

We pulled up to my apartment complex and I vaguely wondered if my neighbors had gotten used to seeing this car in the parking lot by now. But as I reached over to unbuckle my seatbelt Miles's hand fell on top of mine. My eyes met his and the words that would form my smooth dismissal fell off my lips.

"So I've been thinking," he began, "when we met there was no way of knowing it would lead to this."

"Right," I agreed, but my mind was racing with all the possible ways this conversation could unfold.

"But even before you offered to take me home I wanted more from you." My cheeks reddened at his bold statement. Now, with the delicate balance of our relationship it was hard to image we had ever slept together through impulse. And I had a feeling that the delicate balance was about to be shaken up, "Sorry, I didn't word that right. You just wanted me for a hookup and I understand. But I talked with you and in the first two minutes I wanted more than just a physical moment."

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"We have great conversations, don't we? The first time we talked you were sassy and smart and the more comfortable you get with me the more I see it. you always have something to talk about, you're educated beyond what college could ever do, and you have a damn raccoon. I can't say that I've met anyone else who continued to surprise me for so long. What I'm trying to say is that I never intended to go to that bar and find you and I never wanted to be one of those bosses who hires a girl so he can try and date her, but I'd really like to give us a try."

"Miles, I-"

"I know what you're going to say and I understand that you aren't comfortable jumping in with both feet. I don't want you to feel like I need a hard and fast answer right now. So, how about we just start with coffee? It was all I wanted then and it's all I want now."

"Miles, I don't know."

"Just one coffee. You can pick the place and the time and I'll be there."

Two weeks ago I would've said no. I would've awkwardly pulled my hand away and told him I appreciated his offer, but because of our circumstances I just could accept it. after that I would do everything in my power to avoid him and my work like would become very painful because our jobs were so intertwined.

But it was time to move on. Declan and Matthew needed to be behind me.

"I'm free Saturday. Give me your number and I'll text you the address of my favorite coffee bar."

***Hey everyone. I just spent my weekend in Banff and it was incredible. What have you done this summer that made the warm weather worth it? Next chapter at 11 votes.***