CHAPTER 29: THE BATTLE

QUENTIN BECK
Present traveling to the past

I stood in utter fear and shock as my hands were directing a gun at Peter. My heart was pounding in my chest and I felt like I was about to vomit everywhere.

I can't kill him.

I pointed the gun at Tony.

"You promised!" Peter wailed, "You promised you would save everyone before me!" My throat tightened painfully at the thought of our conversation from just days ago.

"If it comes down to it then swear that you'll save everyone else before me." Peter demanded.

"Peter, we don't trade lives, we're going to save everyone." I tried to convince him.

"Promise me, Quentin." He begged with red eyes, "You have to promise me that you'll save everyone else if it comes down to it. May, Ned, MJ, Happy, you. I want them all safe."

"You know I can't do that." I spoke softly and ran my fingers through his hair.

"Promise me, you owe it to me."

"Okay." I mumbled in a pained voice, "I promise."

"You promised Quin! You told me the right choice isn't always the easy choice, you prick!" Peter tried to get my attention again. I was staring at the hold Tony had on Peter. Killing Peter wasn't an option, promise be damned. Yet if I shot Tony he would never forgive me. Either way someone was going to die in this situation, so I sorted out all of my options.

1: Shoot Peter and have everyone he loves be devastated (including me).

2: Shoot Tony and have Peter despise me, then proceeding to lead him even farther down into the depression he had been hopelessly falling through. And even though I didn't want to think about it... I was beginning to be scared he might hurt himself if things got any worse.

3: Shoot myself and not have to make any decision at all (not my proudest thought) which would most likely end up with the three of us dying anyway.

Or 4: Find a way to kill Shadow.

"Make a decision before I kill them both." Shadow demanded and dug the gun further into my scalp and I shivered. After my childhood I was rarely ever phased by things, but when it came to Peter I was a mess at the first sign of him getting hurt.

I felt the ground shake even more and I could see civilians bolting down the streets with their screams piercing through the air. I looked down to see Happy staring at us with parted lips.

"Tony," I yelled in a pained voice, "I know you're in there! Listen to us." I tried to distract Shadow to buy some time as Happy ran up the stairs quietly with a gun tucked up his sleeve.

"Quentin, just kill me." Peter begged and his entire body was trembling, "I can't watch him die again, please."

"Tony," I tried again and pushed down the guilt bubbling up in my stomach, "Look at what you're doing to Peter. You know him." Tony looked down at him with a strained face but his grip didn't falter.

"Mr Stark please." Peter tried, knowing there was no way I could stick to my promise and kill him, "You were the one who gave me this suit, you're the reason I'm Spiderman." He whispered, "And I know that none of that has happened yet but listen to me-"

Tony stopped him mid sentence by using Peter's own web shooters to cover his mouth.

"Stop!" I screamed and subconsciously my thumb slid over the trigger that was pointed right at Tony. Peter vigorously shook his head back and forth while Shadow rumbled with laughter, enjoying our pain and letting us continue for his own sadistic entertainment. I grunted under my breath about how much I hated loving Peter before continuing, "Tony, do you remember Olivia?" His attention turned to me and his jaw clicked.