CHAPTER 14: TOWERS AND TALK

DRAWING BY pinkpipedream

PETER PARKER
Present

"What do you mean that wasn't you?" I looked at him skeptically.

Quentin groaned and ran his fingers through his hair. "We should get somewhere safer first. I doubt that's the last time we'll be seeing Shadow."

"Yeah," I agreed. "We need to go back to Stark Towers, I bet Happy is really worried." I bit my lip guiltily. I hated inconveniencing people.

"Are you sure that's such a good idea? There are way more people there and we don't know if Shadow's planning to continue his scheme or not yet."

"Happy will know what to do," I persisted. "And there are more people there to help. They might not all be superheroes but they're all practically geniuses."

He grunted out some hasty agreement before tossing MJ over his shoulder as we walked toward the building.

My heart was thudding in my chest faster than ever just from being in his presence and my mind was racing with too many doubts that I could barely contain. I kept my face forward and looked at him from out of the corner of my eye.

Both of us looked like a mess. His dark hair was all disheveled, clothes dirty and torn, fresh bruises beginning to form upon our skin. But he still looked just as handsome to me.

When we finally reached Stark Towers it was utter chaos. All the employees were rushing around frantically and there were a group of soldiers that I'd never seen before.

I hesitantly peered up at Quentin with a blush and slipped my hand into his. "Just so they know you're with me." I assured him with a red face. He hummed in agreement and if we were on normal terms he definitely would've cracked a joke and teased me.

When we got to the entrance of the building a few people noticed Quentin and started to scream which attracted the attention of, well, everyone.

The soldiers raised their guns to fire at Quentin. "Stop it!" I yelled at them and pushed him behind me so that I was blocking them.

"Move!" One of them screamed at me and I looked up at Quentin worriedly. He placed a reassuring hand on my shoulder and offered a comforting smile. I was tempted to lean in and feel more of his skin against mine but we were interrupted.

"Hold your fire!" a familiar voice shrieked, the sound of harsh footsteps booming our way.

I was pulled out of my trance when Happy pulled me into one of the tightest hugs I'd ever had. "Happy!" I choked, "I can't breathe!"

"You're lucky I don't do just that right now!" he scolded as we parted and I averted my gaze shamefully.

"I'm sorry," I mumbled.

He sighed. "Sorry doesn't even begin to cover this Peter. I'm responsible for making sure you're responsible. You could've died!"

I felt an enormous amount of guilt pang in my chest with the amount of fear in his voice. I timidly met his gaze again. This time he relaxed a little bit, probably when realizing that now I'm safe so everything worked out.

For now at least.

"Speaking of," Happy scrunched up his nose. "You smell like you died. You need to go take a shower pronto."

My cheeks blushed in embarrassment because of Quentin standing next to me being able to hear our entire conversation. I smiled sheepishly at him, only remembering that I was holding his hand when he gave it a consoling squeeze. Happy looked at me confusedly before finally noticing the person standing next to me.