CHAPTER 17: TEARS AND FEARS

PETER PARKER
Present

"His name is Shadow?" Happy mused, lips curling into a grin, "What kind of stupid name is that?"

Quentin wrapped his muscular arm around my waist and pulled me into his side as we stood before Happy, discussing everything that's been going on.

"That isn't the point." I clutched onto Quentin and leaned into his embrace for comfort, "We need to figure out if he's alive- and if he is then we need to figure out what we're going to do about it."

Happy's eyes glanced at Quentin holding me and paused, pursing his lips. I blushed and went to pull away but he held me in place.

"So," Happy trailed off, "When and how did that happen?" He pestered, snorting at my uncomfortable expression.

Prick.

"Why do you keep getting off track?" I whined, "We need to figure this out." Quentin just laughed and ruffled my hair, both of them ignoring me.

"As soon as we met I was completely whipped." He confessed while I struggled to push him away out of embarrassment but I couldn't escape his grasp. I didn't really want him to let go anyway.

"I see." Happy replied, looking completely unbothered, "I'm happy for you guys. I just wish you would've told me sooner, Peter."

I had told him the night I left to go find MJ while panicking. Right after I shot my webs at him to keep him against the wall while I ran out like a scared little kid. Which, I kind of was. But we hadn't had a chance to talk about it since I left immediately after.

"I didn't think it was important." I mumbled and sniffed Quentin's shirt discreetly. He smelled like pine trees and it was so alluring I wanted to scream.

Why does he have to be so perfect?

Quentin scoffed, "I'm not important?" He teased me and flicked his fingers against my forehead, causing me to groan.

"Can we please get back on track?" I begged, finally succeeding in pushing him away from me while I pouted.

"But it's so cute seeing you all flustered." He moved toward me, wanting a kiss but I flicked his forehead back and he grunted, glaring at me jokingly, "Pft, fine. Be like that."

A guard then bursted through the door with a stern expression on his face, "You have a visitor, Mr Parker."

I gasped and subconsciously grabbed Quentin's arm, "Shadow?" I asked with wide eyes.

"He claimed to go by your "guy in the chair", Sir."

My expression faltered, "Ned? Why is Ned here?"

Quentin brushed my hair out of my eyes, gaining my attention, "Who's Ned?" He questioned me.

"My best friend." I answered in a small voice and turned back to the guard, "Did he say why he's here?"

I hadn't spoken to Ned in a while, the last time was when I... also... used my webs to hold him against the wall while I left...

I guess I have a habit of doing that.

"He was talking about some message, looking beat up, too. Covered in blood and gashes."

My nails dig into Quentin's skin and he placed his other hand on the small of my back reassuringly, "It's ok." He murmured into my ear, "We'll take care of it." I swallowed down the lump in my throat and followed the guard down to see Ned.

When we got to the entrance, he was standing there looking absolutely awful. His clothes were torn and he had a huge gash on his forehead and his lips were all busted up and his eyes looked swollen, probably from crying and-