Bella And The Monster Under Her Bed

5 years ago
"Mommy!"
"What is it sweetheart? I'm right here." Bella was crying silently and I didn't know why.
"Did you have a nightmare?"
"No!"
"What's wrong?" I had only put Bella to sleep an hour ago and she's usually knocked out within half an hour. I needed to figure out what was putting her in distress so I could get her back to sleep as soon as possible. A five year old needs their sleep.
"The monster under my bed tried to eat me." She kept crying and I sat her on the bed.
"Bella, are you sure you didn't have a dream?"
"Yes, the hand come out from under the bed! And he was scratching my bed." I waited her face and looked into her eyes.
"How about, I spray under your bed with magical monster spray?"
"Yes, I want him to go away!" I went into the kitchen and got the 'special spray' (water) and sprayed it under my daughters bed. She seemed calmed down now, and ready to go to sleep. She yawned tiredly and she looked at me.
"It's bedtime baby."
"Sleep with you?"
"No, remember what we talked about? About sleeping in our own bed."
"But I'm scared."
"I know, and if you need me you're right next to me. Okay? I'm right next door."
"No, I don't want you to go." She started to pout and I know I had to go. We have a routine and me going in there kind of messed it up. There'd be days where Bella would sit and cry for a while and I don't know what possessed me to cave in this time around. I couldn't let Bella get too attached to me, I wanted her to have some independence.
**********
Sunday Morning (Bella's Perspective)
Last night was really scary. The monster was under my bed. I checked under my bad this morning, to make sure he was gone.
"Are you there?!" He didn't scratch my bed. Maybe he's gone?
"Bella, come for breakfast baby. I made French toast with eggs and bacon. Your favorite."
"I'm not hungry." I had to go under the bed and figure out why he was doing this!
"Bella, I'm going to count to 5. If you don't come in five seconds I'm going to come in there."
"5." I went under the bed and waited.
"Hm. Why isn't he coming out?"
"Bella?!"
"She's probably in the bathroom. Sweetheart, do you need help?"
"Mommy, Bella's still in her room." She came back over and looked under the bed.
"There you are! Come and eat. Your food's probably cold now bear."
"I was looking."
"For what? A toy?"
"No something else." I ate my French toast and thought about what to do. How am I gonna catch the monster?!
"So guys, What is today?"
"Family day."
"Mhm, and we all have to vote on what to do today. I have two choices. We can go to the water park, or we can go to the zoo."
"Let's go to the water park and cool off." Noah said.
"Sounds good Bella?"
"Yes. I can wear my gold bathing suit." Noah laughed and gave me a hug.
"We're gonna go on all of the rides right?"
"Well we can try, and if we want to make it there we gotta start getting ready, so can you guys go and get your bathing suits on and grab your goggles and floaties?"
"Yeah. Let's go Bella!"
"Okay!" I ran to go grab my bathing suit and I closed the door so I could change in privacy. Mommy showed me how to put on a bathing suit and I slid it on really easy! I also put on some shorts and my sandals and grabbed my goggles.
"Mommy I'm dressed!"
"Okay, but I have to get ready babe. Give me a minute."
"Okay. Can I come in?"
"Mhm."
*************
Splish-Splash Water Park (Olivia's Perspective)
"Okay we're going to go into the pool for a bit and then we can do all of the rides."
"That sounds good." I held my son's hand as my daughter threw herself into the pool. Splashing us in the process.
"It's really fun." I laughed as she swam around in a circle.
"How come Bella can swim better than me?!"
"What do you mean? You guys are both great swimmers."
"No, she's better and that's not fair! I'm the older one so I should be the better swimmer."
"Noah, that isn't a nice thing to say." Bella kept smiling and looked at me again.
"I tell you a secret Mommy. Come." I got into the water and she cupped her hands around my ear.
"I peed."
"Bella!" She giggled and swam away. This girl was so silly. Noah was still having an attitude, much to my dismay and I couldn't tell why. But then again, 6 year olds have their days and if the want to be nice, they will.
"Mommy I like this pool a lot. I don't want to ever get out!" She said cutely.
"Thought you wanted to go on some of the rides sweetheart."
"I do but not right now."
"Noah, are you coming in?"
"No! I don't want to!" I got out of the pool and took my son to the side.
"What you're not going to do is yell at me. This is your warning. If you yell like that again or be disrespectful you won't get a single thing from the gift shop when we're done here. Do you understand me?"
"Yes."
"Yes who?"
"Yes Mommy." Bella swam to the edge and watched us.
"Mommy, can you please come in and play?"
"Alright. Come on."
"I don't want to swim."
"Alright, and you could sit right there where I could see you."
"Throw me up in the air Mommy." She giggled as I threw her up into the air.
"Again."
"Again?!" I held her and gave her a kiss.
"Can I have one back?"
"No, I gave you so many!"
"One more..."
"This is the last one." She gave me one and we kind of just talked. Conversations with my five year old are sacred to me.
************
Two years later (Bella's Perspective)
"Tell me what you want for lunch babe."
"I don't want to eat anything."
"Why?" I got out of my seat and Mommy got down on her knee.
"Bella? What's wrong?"
"I don't feel good."
"Why baby? Are you hurt?"
"My tummy really hurts."
"Mommy, people in our school got sick."
"I know, I saw the letter. I hope Bella doesn't have the bug."
"I wanna go to bed."
"Alright sweetheart. I'll come check in on you in a minute." I sat on my bed and looked up.
"I wish I didn't feel sick. I don't like being sick."
"Bella?!"
Present Day
I woke up from my nap to hear my Mother.
"Huh?!" I fixed myself and let out a huge gasp of air.
"Bella, you okay?" That dream was out of this world. It's like I went back in time or something. That was so weird.
"Bella?"
"Yes?!" I said tiredly.
"When you're ready, please come and meet me in the basement."
"Okay Mom." I put my head into my hands and massaged my scalp.
"What the heck was that?" I felt slightly woozy and I looked at the ground. I hate dreams like that because they remind me of my childhood. My childhood didn't have a happy beginning, but it's been amazing lately. I just want to think about now. The present. The future. That's what matters to me right now. I can't look back all the time. This is a different part of my life now. And now, I needed to go downstairs and face Mom.
"Let's just get this over with I guess."

A/N: And that's it! The part two to this chapter will be in the sequel 'She's Special' so be ready for that. Thank you so much for reading and if you're interested in reading more be ready for that sequel! 🥰