Yes! Pick me up at 8 -A

Suddenly my day was made.

✰ ✰ ✰

"Hey!" I said excitedly as I got in the passenger side of Percy's Prius. I promised myself to stay positive in front of Percy, hoping he would return the attitude. Also, I just missed the dork.

Percy gave me shy smile. "So, what does Miss. Annabeth Chase want to do on her first ditch day?" He asked, his smile turning into a smirk.

"Well I want breakfast first. There's this breakfast place with amazing bagels that I know," I said.

"You got it," Percy said as he pulled out of the lot. He then turned up the radio and hummed along with the song.

We arrived at my favorite restaurant for breakfast in New York. It's this little coffee shop in a corner lot with an old town style exterior. Windows wrap around the front walls so you can see the welcoming interior. It seemed much better than the harsh winter of New York.

As Percy and I entered, I was once again reminded of why it was my go-to place to eat, work on homework, and relax. The radio was playing a soft coffee hit, and the aroma of coffee instantly put me at ease.

We walked up to to barista and ordered two bagels and coffee. Behind the counter was a large exposed brick wall with lights showing every crack and detail. Fairy lights were strung around the room and twinkled at Percy and I as we chose a booth in the back.

We shared an awkward silence, broken up by a group of noisy kids coming in the door.

I risked a glance at Percy. He looked extremely tan in the dim lighting. His features seemed to dull a tiny bit, but his eyes were as bright as ever. They always gleamed with a hint of mischief and cockiness.

"Staring at me?" He asked as a smirk spread across his face. I silently cursed myself for staring at his beautiful eyes for a second too long. It was like there was a spell was cast on me to fall in love with his stunning, stupid eyes.

"Whatever," I rolled my eyes.

And after that, all of the walls separating us seemed to crash down. Our conversation started like nothing had happened.

"Did you hear that Mr. D went crazy on some student yesterday? Apparently she was dissing pinochle or something," Percy said, taking a sip of his hot chocolate.

"Why doesn't that surprise me," I laughed. Mr. D was the vice principal of our school, and he also happened to lack all the qualifications to be one. No one knew how he ended up at Goode, which was a really, well, good school. He was always dressed in a loud, animal print shirt, and equipped with a diet coke.

Percy shrugged. "I don't know. I hope that loser gets fired."

Percy and Mr. D had an interesting history. I remember when they first met during freshman orientation. Mr. D was in charge of our group, and Percy would not stop defying Mr. D. When he told our group to go left, Percy went right. When he told us to be quiet, Percy was always ready with a snarky remark.

"I don't think he will," I shrugged. "No one has the guts to fire him."

"Yeah, you're probably right." Percy frowned as he sat back.

"But did you hear about Octavian? I heard he was caught doing some odd stuff to teddy bears in the boys' locker rooms..."

Without realizing it, we talked for at least an hour about what we'd been up to in the past three weeks without each other.

Finally, after mustering all my courage, I said, "Percy, I really missed you."

His smile faded. Then, in a whisper, he said, "I missed you more than you know, Annabeth."

"Then why have you been acting so weird?" I asked, desperate. He opened his mouth to speak but the barista came over with a stern look on her face.

"I'm sorry, but I noticed you've been here for almost two hours just sitting here," she gestured to the long line that ended outside, "I'm going to have to ask you to go for now." Percy and I nodded and made our way out.

✰ ✰ ✰

For the rest of the day, Percy and I acted like I didn't ask him that question before. We explored different sites through New York all day, without anymore awkward conversations. Even though multiple questions were burning in my mind, I resisted the urge to ask. Percy was too special to lose over this. I decided he would tell me on his own time.

It was 8 pm by the time he dropped me off again.

"Look, Annabeth," he said as he parked. His expression, once easygoing and happy, had changed into one of nervousness. "I can explain why I've been such an ass ever since... you know."

"Okay," I said, "you don't have to if you're not ready."

"No, I want to." He said. His body was tense as if he was scared about what my reaction would be.

Percy faced me, his green eyes turning dark, "It's the things I told you. I haven't told anyone that."

   I looked at him confused, "Percy if you're scared about me telling people, I promise you I won't. I-"

   He interrupted me, "No, it's not that. I want you to keep it to yourself. But that's not the reason. The reason is that I'm not exactly used to being vulnerable. I mean- I've never shown anyone who I truly am. It's a scary thing. It's not an excuse though. I'm sorry. I swear."

   How could I have been so stupid? Of course he never told anyone about his family. He'd been too ashamed of himself and couldn't bear to show anyone. And then he told me, someone that he wasn't even that close with. I silently cursed Poseidon for ruining him.

   "Percy," I said, my voice now a whisper, "I meant what I said about always being there for you. If there's anyone you can count on, it's me." I put my hand on his and tried to ignore the electricity current flowing throw my hand.

Percy smiled gratefully at me, "I know. I was just worried that your view of me changed."

I frowned, "Percy, it did change."

"Yeah?" Now it was his turn to frown. A brief look of panic flashed across his face, but he quickly wiped it off.

"If anything, it made me admire you more," I replied, giving him a reassuring smile. It wasn't a lie, either.

✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰

Thanks for reading!!!

Comment your favorite style of coffee if you guys are still reading these! I saw these on a youtube video before, and I thought it was pretty cool. So, here I am. I've been obnoxious about it for 13 chapters, so why stop now?

Like, comment, or follow for more 💛